The CAF 2016 African Best Eleven has just been released. The Best XI unsurprisingly contained no Nigerian player. The list was released during the CAF award for the African Best Player of the year. The award was won by Riyad Mahrez of Leicester City and Algeria, who lead his team to the English Premier League Title last year. It has been a wonderful year for the winger who had a prolific 2016.
The CAF 2016 African Best Eleven is a list of African best players during the year under review. The players are drawn from within the continent and outside. As a result, 5 African based players were selected while the remaining 6 were drawn from Europe. As earlier stated, no Nigeria was included in this Africa’s best XI of the year. It is a disappointing time for the giants of Africa who are also not participating in this year’s African Nations Cup.
Also Read: CAF African Best Player Nominees
CAF 2016 African Best Eleven
Goalkeeper: Denis Onyango (Mamelodi Sundowns)
Defenders: Serge Aurier (Paris Saint-Germain), Aymen Abdennour (Valencia), Eric Bailly (Manchester United), Joyce Lomalisa (AS Vita).
Midfielders: Khama Billiat (Mamelodi Sundowns), Rainford Kalaba (TP Mazembe), Keagan Dolly (Mamelodi Sundowns).
There were other awards that were given out to deserving personalities and football teams across Africa. They include:
- African Player of the Year: Riyad Mahrez
- CAF Platinum Award: Muhammadu Buhari
- Football Leader of the Year: Manuel Lopes Nascimento
- African Player of the Year – Based in Africa: Denis Onyango
- Referee of the Year: Bakary Papa Gassama
- Women’s Player of the Year: Asisat Oshoala
- 2016 Coach of the Year: Pitsoo Mosimane
- 2016 Youth Player of the Year: Alex Iwobi
- 2016 Most Promising Player of the Year: Kelechi Iheanacho
- Club of the Year: Memelodi Sundowns
- Women’s National Team of the Year: Nigeria
- National Team of the Year: Uganda
Also Read: Full List Of Glo CAF Award Winners
Do you think CAF got the awards correctly? Did neither Victor Moses, Alex Iwobi, John Mikel Obi and Kelechi Iheanacho deserve to be in the list? What is your say concerning the awards? Share with us below. Thank you.