Jighere Wellington wins Scrabble championship
The 2015 World Scrabble Champion imaged from Nigeria by name – Jighere Wellington who has defeated England’s Lewis Mackay to win the 2015 World Scrabble Championships.
Wellington and Mackay faced off in Perth, Australia, in a best of 7 series, with Wellington needing only 4 games to claim victory.
Wellington, who had finished in 3rd place in 2007, was one of 5 Nigerians in the top 50, including 16th-placed Ayorinde Saidu and 17th-placed Emmanuel Umujose.
Biography of Jighere Wellington
Jighere Wellington was Born in Benin City Edo State of Nigeria. Graduated with honour in Crop Science from University of Benin and just recently concluded his NYSC.
Spots Profile of Jighere Wellington
- Gold Medalist-National Sports Festival Scrabble Sports.
- 3rd Mumbai World Championship. Mumbai India
- Two Times African Scrabble Championship organized by PANASSA (Back to back Kenya 2008&Ghana 2010)
- winner Godswill Akpabio International Classics 2009
- 2nd place winner World Championship
- 1st place winner Kwete National Scrabble Championship Adamawa State
- 1st place Lagos International Classics 2014
- 1st place winner Nigeria-Ghana Friendly 2014
- programmed Athlete Delta State Sports Council.
- Masterly Rated Player by WESPA*Masterly Rated Player Nigeria Scrabble Federation. *Member Club 911 Scrabble Club Warri Delta State.
Suleiman Garba, the president of the Nigeria Scrabble Federation, in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria said;
“It is a testimony of the potential of Nigeria as a country and the sacrifice and hard work of the board under my leadership.”
“We started preparation about a year ago with seven camps which we christened Scrabble Meets to put our team in shape for the world championship and it has paid off.”
“I am very proud of the Nigerian team and very proud to be Nigerian. I hope this victory will be made complete when our Golden Eaglets wins the World Cup later today,’’ .
He also added by congratulating the team for their hard work, and wished the Golden Eaglets similar success.
We say a very big ‘CONGRATULATION” to Jighere Wellington