Admission Requirements for School of Nursing & Midwifery in Nigeria

Admission Requirements for School of Nursing & Midwifery

Knowing about the Admission Requirements for School of Nursing & Midwifery is important because the Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria is the only Professional Regulatory Body for all cadres of Nurses and Midwives in Nigeria. It is the only legal and Administrative Corporate and Statutory Body charged with the performance of specific functions for Nurses and Midwives on behalf of the Federal Government of Nigeria.

The Council has its headquarters in Lagos, with Zonal Offices in Kaduna, Bauchi, Enugu, Port Harcourt and Abuja.

The Council also works in partnership and collaboration with non-governmental organization such as WHO, UNICEF, Ipas, Netherlands Leprosy Relief Organization, JSI/MMIS-Nigeria, GHAIN. PATHS, etc, in developing and implementing various health programmes, projects, workshops/seminar etc., aimed at uplifting the standards of Nursing and Midwifery Education and Practice in the country

Admission Requirements for School of Nursing & Midwifery in Nigeria

There are different categories of Nursing and Midwifery admission offered in the School. So as the defer so also their requirements for admission defers too. Check below to see the one that best suit your qualification to enable you learn how to apply for School of Nursing & Midwifery in Nigeria.

1. GENERAL NURSING PROGRAMME

Candidates for admission into the General Nursing Education Programme of the Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria must posses the Senior Secondary School Certificate or its equivalent with five credits to include English Language and either Physics, Chemistry, Biology/Health Science at not more than 2 sittings.

-> Duration of Study Three (3) calendar years.
-> Registration obtainable Registered Nurse (RN)

2. POST BASIC MIDWIFERY PROGRAMME

-> The Candidate must be a Registered Nurse and must also meet all institutional Requirements to be admitted into any of the 66 schools of midwifery.
-> Duration of Study One (1) calendar year.
-> Registration obtainable Registered Midwife (RM)

3. POST BASIC PSYCHIATRIC NURSING PROGRAMME

-> The Candidate must be a Registered Nurse and must also meet all institutional Requirements to be admitted into any of the eight (8) schools of psychiatric nursing.
-> Duration of Study One (1) calendar year.
-> Registration obtainable Registered Psychiatric Nurse (RPN)

4. BACHELOR OF NURSING SCIENCE DEGREE PROGRAMME (B.N.Sc.)

-> Five Credits level passes in WASC/SSCE or its equivalent at not more than two sittings. Subject must include English Language, Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Mathematics. Candidate must also meet all institutional requirements.
-> Duration of Study Five (5) calendar years with one year internship in a recognized health care institution.
-> Registration obtainable: Registered Nurse (RN), Registered Midwife (RM), Registered Public Health Nurse (RPHN).

-> Registered Psychiatric Nurse (RPN).
-> Academic Qualification Bachelor of Nursing Science Degree.

5. HIGHER DEGREES IN NURSING

-> Admission requirements As obtainable in the different Universities offering higher
degrees in Nursing.
-> Academic Degrees Master of Philosophy, Doctor of Philosophy.

6. PROFESSIONAL PROGRAMMES

• Burns and Plastic Nursing
  • Cardiothoracic Nursing
  • Occupational Health Nursing
  • Intensive Care Nursing
  • Nursing Administration
  • General Nursing

-> Admission requirements Registered Nurse, Registered Midwife with at least one year post registration experience .
-> A current practicing license.
-> The applicant must meet all other institutional requirements.
-> Duration of Study One Calendar Year, except for the Anaesthetist Nursing programme which runs for eighteen (18) months.
-> Registration Obtainable Certificate in Nursing in the area of Clinical Specialization.

Just in case you have further question, kindly use the comment box below to express your seld, as our team is ever ready to out you through. Also use this opportunity and share this link to others on your facebook page, Twitter, LinkedIn, Whatsapp, Google+, SnapChat, Imo, etc.

Good Luck.

1. Am francisca nnoli am in need of nursing application form for abia state school of health please enlighten me on it

2. I HV a degree in mass communication n I want to do nursing,so do I HV to sit for wassce to ma chemistry n physics?

• Yes, you have to.

3. Hi my name is chìďimma and I had a degree in computer science in 2005. Do I have to resit for weac to be able to gain admission in a nursing school.

• No, you don’t have to. But if only your WAEC or O-Level result contains with necessary credits on Maths, English, Biology, Physics, Chemistry, and another one or two subjects.

• Thanks for the reply. please is there any nursing school selling admission form in lagos.

4. Am Jessica chidinma i did my national diploma in one polytechnic, I study SLT and my GP is 2. 68 and want to switch over to nursing my question is which level will I start from and what are the requirements?

• Depending the School of Nursing & Midwifery in Nigeria you are applying from. But In most schools you have to start from scratch (100L).

5. MY NAME IS GLORIA. I DONT HAVE PHYSICS IN MY SSCE RESULT AND I WANT TO STUDY NURSING. CAN I GO AHEAD AND BUY JAMB FORM?

• No, it doesn’t work without that.

6. I av a nabteb result consitin of d 5 subject needed to go to d skul of nursn z d result ok o shuld i go nd register for waec

• It will be good if you want to do that, as a matter of fact whether using nabteb or waec is your choice. But just that some institution may not accept nabteb for Nurse course.

7. my question is for general nursing must I have credit in my mathematics

• You also need “Credit” in Mathematics to apply for Nursing.

• Good day. Can i study nursing without science background? I only have maths English and Biology

• You must meet the requirements in order to gain admission. Therefore, having Only English and Biology isn’t enough. You need other science subjucts (about two or three more). Please check out the requirements listed on this page. Thanks for commenting.

• Hi, my name is stella…. which nursing school in delta state or close to Delta state can I gain admission into with nabteb result, I credited all science subjects including mathematics and English

8. Hello! I have a Pass in Physics and I want to go for midwifery. Will I be considered? And are applications still open for 2017?

9. my name is jimoh kabirat this are my waec result. mathematic b3, english c4, biology b3, physis c5, chemistry b3, ccp a1. how am i to obtain the form an also the school that are avialable

10. HELLO, MY NAME IS VICKSI, I WILL LIKE TO PICK FORM FOR MIDWIFERY AFTER UNDER GOING EMT TRAINING IN COLLEGE FOR 3YEARS .CAN I GO FOR IT?.

11. Well depending the institution you are applying from.

12. Am a graduate of industrial chemistry.
    I want to study the cna progrsm. Pls how can I go about it in Akwa ibom state. And please what is the duration.

13. Can i use midwifery or nursing certificate 2 gain admission in university 2 study medicine and surgery..?

14. Hi, am currently in first year nursing school in the U.S.A and i would like to come home to complete my nursing degree. I want to obtain the bachelors of nursing. what is the transfer process. Thank you.

15. Hello, am an O’level student with poor physics grade. Can i still apply for Nursing?

• You should have at least “C”

16. Ok thanks, i don’t mind you to please keep me update when the form is out…

17. Please I got pass in chemistry and biology is there hope for me??

• Am really not sure about that cos those are part of important courses you MUST credit. But you can still visit the institution you want to apply for admission to make further inquiries.

18. Hello, thank you for this useful information. I would like to know whether there is some additional advantage or difference in relevance between the certification in nursing offered by a school of nursing and that of a bachelor of nursing science offered by a university? If not, why the difference in the duration of study?

19. I have credit in mathematics, English language, physics, chemistry and pass in biology. Please can I apply ?

• Depending on the school if they will consider you. So it’s better you visit the school and present your result (at the Admin office or your choice of departmant) before buying the form.

20. Good Day sir/ma, please i want if admission is still on going for school of nursing in aba

21. Good morning, please i would like to know if ABSUTH offers nursing and midwifery as Degree or as Diploma …Thanks..

• Yes, they do. But you have to visit her official website or the school admin block for more information .

22. Hello, my name is Chizoba .I want to know if the form is on sale .(university teaching hospital Ana a via state) nursing form

23. hello. .my name is Jennifer. I want to apply for school of nursing with just my O’level result. .which aspect can I apply for?

24. God day… I just graduated form Human kinetics and health education… And I just want to attend the school of midwifery… Pls how possible is that??

• It is very possible. But make sure you have what is required. And to do that, you need to – first of all, make up your mind on which of the Midwifery school you want to attend, then visit their website or admission department and know what you need to have before applying.

25. I wish to know if I can get admission into school of nursing with a pass in English and Biology but credit in physics, chemistry, mathematics, economics and the rest.

• The page above explains the requirements for gaining admission into the school of nursing in Nigeria. Therefore, I advise you go through the page again.
      However, English and Biology is an important subject that you must have at least “C”, including Maths and physics, chemistry and another 1 or 2 subjects. Go through the page again for full information.

26. My name is Hope. I want to ask if it is possible to apply for rivers state nursing school through jamb. And also if the nursing form for 2019 is out..

27. I have HND in biochemistry and i want to attend school of nursing in LUTH idi araba.will i need to start afresh or What. For post basic nursing and mid wife

28. Do I have to have a registered nursing certificate before I can apply for midwifery program

29. I graduated from community health and would like to apply for the midwifery program, will I have to start afresh

30. how can i study midwifery in university of benin

• Yes, you can, once you meet the requirements.

31. My name is fatima can i apply nursing in unijos witout JAMB i have physic,chemistry,biology,maths,english in my WAEC can i stil apply

• No, sorry, you can’t apply without writing JAMB. In fact, note that no government or private institutions can offer admission without JAMB; Only “OPEN UNIVERSITY does that for now.

32. Pls my name is Chidimma, my junior sister just saw her waec and she credit everything except chemistry that she got E8, pls will she still apply for the form or sit for another waec

• Yes, she has to if she really want to go for Nursing and Midwifery course.