Indian Student Visa in Nigeria – Annually, lots of international students apply to and are admitted into full time studies in Nigeria. This has a lot to do with India being one of global superpowers when it comes to education. Furthermore, India, being the land of diverse cultures, a birthplace of some of the world’s greatest religions and history offers a wide range of options for international students.
Are you thinking of studying in India as a Nigeria? Get this in mind: Studying in India will change your life forever, and not in the same way studying abroad anywhere else in the world will. You will see and experience things that open your eyes to a whole new manifestation of life in our modern age. Studying abroad in India means facing the entire spectrum of the human spirit, experience, and resilience (and all the good and the bad that comes with it).
Also See: How To Apply US Student Visa In Nigeria
Expect to return home a more informed and well-rounded person because India will make you a better person. If you are doubting it, I will tell you its a good choice. Does this seem like what you would love to do? Then, you need to be able to obtain Indian student visa in Nigeria. Before that, let’s see why you should study in India.
Possible Reasons To Study In India
There are so many reasons why you need to study in India. Some of them includes the following.
1. Top Quality Universities
International students have thousands of universities and colleges to choose from. In fact, the ranking list has a majority of the Indian Institute of Technology and All India Institute of Medical Sciences for students to take admission in. Studying abroad in a top ranking university is definitely one of the top reasons to study in India.
2. Lower Cost of Living
Studying abroad in a completely different country becomes a major concern for international students and the cost of living in a foreign country can seem daunting to many at first. In a country like India, cost of living is the last thing to worry about. The cost of education in India is way lower compared to giant education hubs such as the US, UK and Australia.
Given the cost of education in India, universities in India also offer its international students with financial assistance in form of scholarships. The government of India offers a wide range of scholarships to international students who want to pursue higher studies in the country.
4. Job Opportunities
While the country offers an array of programmes spread across various fields, many international students come seeking work opportunities in India- both during and after programme. The Indian government does not allow foreign students to work during their study period. However, international students are allowed to take up training and internships. Even though, India bounds international students from exploring work opportunities during their studies, it generally does not exempt them from working in the country post programme.
About Indian Student Visa
The Indian student visa is issued to a visa applicant who intends to undergo educational study in India. Student visas are short-term visas usually ranging from 3 months to 3 years (PH.D) that allows a person to visit and stay in India for the total time duration of the educational course applied for at the Indian institution, college or university. This is the type of visa you will need to apply for since your mission in India is to study. This gives you a permission to study in their higher institution the course of your choice.
What You Should Know Before Applying for Indian Student Visa In Nigeria
To apply for Indian Student visa in Nigeria, here are the things you need to do.
- You must have gotten an admission in any Indian college or university.
- You need to have all requirements ready before you apply.
- Once your documents are ready, you can either decide to apply for student visa online or you proceed to the Indian High Commission in Nigeria.
- Then follow all the instructions they will give you.
How to Apply India Student Visa Online
The visa application process includes five stages such as;
- Log on to Indiavisaonline, fill your online visa application form and print out form. You want to be sincere and fill with all honesty. Don’t give a false information or try to play smart.
- Pay your India student visa application fee of $252 at the Sterling Bank counter in the Indian High Commission in Lagos. The fee is not refundable.
- Submit your application form and all supporting documents to the consular officer at the Indian High Commission in Lagos. Remember you have to go in person.
- Attend your visa interview and provide extra documentation if needed. Just be yourself and be honest.
- Collect your passport/visa from the Indian High Commission
Visa application submissions are between 10:00AM to 12:00AM on all working days.
Indian High Commission Location In Nigeria
They have offices in Lagos and Abuja. See location below.
- India High Commission, Abuja
364, Cadastral Zone,
Central Business Area (CBA),
Telephone: +234 708 062 2800-4
- India High Commission, Lagos
8A, Walter Carrington Crescent,
Indian Student Visa Requirements
Below are all the requirements you will need to apply for Indian Student Visa in Nigeria.
- Original passport valid for a minimum of 6 months (or for the validity requested, if greater)
- A photocopy of the data page of the passport
- Two photographs of the size of 50mm X 50mm i.e. 2 inch x 2 inch with light background Photos should be glued on your forms in the box provided on pages 1 and 2 of the online form.
- Visa application form duly filled in online _ Your form should be signed in the box under the photograph on page 1 and at the end of page 2 Your signatures should match with the signature printed on your passport.
- APPLICANT MUST PROVIDE HIS/HER OWN CONTACT DETAILS INCLUDING E-MAIL ID. IF FOUND SOMEBODY ELSE’S/FALSE, VISA MAY BE REFUSED.
- Admission letter in original duly signed and stamped with contact details from an Indian university/school or higher education establishment to follow a full-time course.
- Copies with originals of applicant’s previous educational qualifications i.e. Jr. & Sr. Secondary certificates, Mark Sheets, Diploma, Birth Certificate duly attested either by the Nigerian Ministry of Foreign Affairs or Ministry of Education.
- A letter of support with contact details from the parent/guardian accompanied by a bank guarantee/certificate with a copy of Identity Card. In case of sponsorship of higher education from the State Government, a letter in original duly stamped and signed with contact details of the officer concerned.
- Evidence of transfer of adequate funds for at least 4 months sustenance in India or production of traveller’s cheques for a similar amount.
- Indian university/ college/ school to email following to HCI email firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com (For Lagos: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com) from their official email id with copy to the applicant. Applicant is to attach a printout of the invitation and the email with the visa application form.
- Offer /admission letter.
- Undertaking by Indian university/ college/ schoolto be responsiblefor the student during his stay in India and undertake regular FRRO verifications.
- Undertaking by Indian university/ college/ school to reside student in hostel on campus.
- Student visas would be considered only for regular academic courses from renowned Indian Universities.
- Foreign students already sought admission in India and have completed first year of their studies should ensure that they get their visas extended well before time while in India before returning to their country of origin on vacation. In emergency situations, they are advised to visit the nearest FRRO/FRO’s office for extension of visa with prior permission obtained from the University/educational institution.
We have outlined every process you need to successfully obtain your Indian student visa in Nigeria. You don’t know who you might be helping when you share this. Kindly share to help others.