The name Billy Graham is the most trending topic today. In fact, it would be surprising if you haven’t already heard of the passing of one of the greatest world Evangelists ever. As more and more people want to know about the life and events of this great man, we bring to you Billy Graham’s Biography, Books, Quotes, Family And Achievements. You will find this very helpful.
Billy Graham died yesterday, Wednesday 22nd February, 2018. Before his death, he was a world renown preacher and televangelist. He was regarded as the most influential preacher who covered more countries of the world than any other preacher. Let’s look at Billy Graham’s Biography, Books, Quotes, Family And Achievements.
Billy Graham’s Biography, Books, Quotes, Family And Achievements
The first issue to focus on this Billy Graham’s Biography, Books, Quotes, Family And Achievements – All You Need To Know About Billy Graham is his biography.
Billy Graham was born on November 7th, 1918 on a dairy farm near Charlotte, North Carolina. His parents were William Franklin Billy Graham Senior, a businessman and farmer and Morrow Coffee Graham. He was the eldest child of the family with two younger sisters and a brother.
In 1934, at the age of 16, he attended a series of revival meetings in Charlotte by an evangelist, Mordecai Fowler Ham, which changed his personality and he decided to commit his life to Christ.
He graduated from Sharon High School in 1936 and enrolled at Bob Jones College, Cleveland but left it after a few months. In 1937, he attended the Florida Bible Institute and graduated with a bachelor degree in theology in 1940.
Furthermore, in December 1938, he was baptized by the church’s pastor, Rev. Cecil Underwood in Silver Lake. Later, he was ordained by Rev. Underwood and other local pastors as a Southern Baptist minister in the St. John’s River Association. In 1940, he enrolled at the Wheaton College, Illinois, and graduated with a bachelor’s degree in anthropology in 1943.
Billy Graham’s Preaching/Evangelistic Movement
From 1947, Billy Graham annual Billy Graham Crusades, which ran until his retirement in 2005. He also hosted the popular radio show Hour of Decision from 1950 to 1954. Graham preached to live audiences of nearly 215 million people in more than 185 countries and territories through various meetings, including BMS World Mission and Global Mission. He also reached hundreds of millions more through television, video, film and webcasts. In 1950 he founded ‘Billy Graham Evangelistic Association’ (BGEA), a ministry to preach the gospel to a larger number of people around the world and encourage them to join their community. He retired in 2005.
Graham’s Family Life
Evangelist Billy Graham was married to Ruth McCue Bell, the daughter of a general surgeon, while studying at Wheaton College. They got married on August 13, 1943, after his graduation in anthropology. They had five children together. Their names are: Virginia Leftwich Graham, Anne Graham Lotz, Ruth Graham, Franklin Graham and Nelson Edman Graham. They also had 19 grandchildren and numerous great grandchildren.
His wife, Ruth, died in 2007 due to pneumonia. She had been suffering from degenerative osteoarthritis for months before her death. Graham has had Parkinson’s disease since 1992 and also suffers from hydrocephalus, pneumonia, broken hips, and prostate cancer.
Billy Graham’s Books
Billy Graham’s Biography, Books, Quotes, Family And Achievements – All You Need To Know About Billy Graham. Billy Graham wrote a whole lot of books before he died. Below are some of the books he authored and their years of publishing.
- Calling Youth to Christ (1947)
- America’s Hour of Decision (1951)
- I Saw Your Sons at War (1953)
- Peace with God (1953, 1984)
- Freedom from the Seven Deadly Sins (1955)
- The Secret of Happiness (1955, 1985)
- Billy Graham Talks to Teenagers (1958)
- My Answer (1960)
- Billy Graham Answers Your Questions (1960)
- World Aflame (1965)
- The Challenge (1969)
- The Jesus Generation (1971)
- Angels: God’s Secret Agents (1975, 1985)
- How to Be Born Again (1977)
- The Holy Spirit (1978)
- Evangelist to the World (1979)
- Till Armageddon (1981)
- Approaching Hoofbeats (1983)
- A Biblical Standard for Evangelists (1984)
- Unto the Hills (1986)
- Facing Death and the Life After (1987)
- Answers to Life’s Problems (1988)
- Hope for the Troubled Heart (1991)
- Storm Warning (1992)
- Just As I Am: The Autobiography of Billy Graham (1997, 2007)
- Hope for Each Day (2002)
- The Key to Personal Peace (2003)
- Living in God’s Love: The New York Crusade (2005)
- The Journey: How to Live by Faith in an Uncertain World (2006)
- Nearing Home: Life, Faith, and Finishing Well (2011)
- The Heaven Answer Book (2012)
- The Reason for My Hope: Salvation (2013)
- Where I Am: Heaven, Eternity, and Our Life Beyond the Now (2015)
Graham’s Life Time Achievements
Billy had a lot of lifetime achievements. Unless we devote this article to that alone, we won’t be able to list all his achievements here.
- Served on the Wheaton College board of trustees for 27 years
- Founded two magazines, “Christianity Today” and “Decision”
- Wrote 33 books and a syndicated newspaper column, “My Answer”
- In 1965, he was honored with the American Academy of Achievement’s Golden Plate Award and Horatio Alger Award.
- In 1967, he became the first Protestant to receive an honorary degree from Belmont Abbey College, a Roman Catholic school.
- He was awarded the International Brotherhood Award from the National Conference of Christians and Jews in 1971.
- He received the American Jewish Committee’s First National Inter-religious Award and Southern Baptist Radio and Television Commission’s Distinguished Communications Medal in1977.
- Also, he was rewarded with Presidential Medal of Freedom, the nation’s highest civilian award, in 1983.
- In 1989 Graham received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
- He received the Ronald Reagan Presidential Foundation Freedom Award, for monumental and lasting contributions to the cause of freedom in 2000.
- In 2001, he was awarded the Honorary Knight Commander of the Order of the British Empire (KBE) for his international contribution to civic and religious life for over 60 years.
- He was popularly known as ‘Adviser to (American) presidents” because he was a counselor to several US presidents from Truman (1945) to Obama (2010).
In concluding this Billy Graham’s Biography, Books, Quotes, Family And Achievements, we bring to you some of his memorable quotes.
- When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost.”
- “Knowing we will be with Christ forever far outweighs our burdens today! Keep your eyes on eternity!”
- “World events are moving very rapidly now. I pick up the Bible in one hand, and I pick up the newspaper in the other. And I read almost the same words in the newspaper as I read in the Bible. It’s being fulfilled every day round about us.”
- “Sin is the second most powerful force in the universe, for it sent Jesus to the cross. Only one force is greater—the love of God.”
- “They asked her (Ruth Graham) did she ever think about divorce and she said, ‘No, I’ve never thought of divorce in all these 35 years of marriage, but,’ she said, ‘I did think of murder a few times.’”
- “We are the Bibles the world is reading; we are the creeds the world is needing; we are the sermons the world is heeding.”
- “Being a Christian is more than just an instantaneous conversion – it is a daily process whereby you grow to be more and more like Christ.”
- “The message I preach hasn’t changed. Circumstances have changed. Problems have changed, but deep inside man has not changed, and the gospel hasn’t changed.”
- “Someone asked me recently if I didn’t think God was unfair, allowing me to have Parkinson’s and other medical problems when I have tried to serve him faithfully. I replied that I did not see it that way at all. Suffering is part of the human condition, and it comes to us all. The key is how we react to it, either turning away from God in anger and bitterness or growing closer to him in trust and confidence.”
- “God will prepare everything for our perfect happiness in heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe he’ll be there.”
We believe this Billy Graham’s Biography, Books, Quotes, Family And Achievements has been a blessing to you. Since we are celebrating a man who gave his all for humanity, take few seconds and share this to others.