Before we show you How to Download and Install DirectX, let’s understand what DirectX is. Microsoft DirectX is a collection of application programming interfaces (APIs) for handling tasks related to multimedia, especially game programming and video, on Microsoft platforms. Originally, the names of these APIs all began with Direct, such as Direct3D, DirectDraw, DirectMusic, DirectPlay, DirectSound, and so forth.
DirectX is the name Microsoft uses to describe a whole slew of application programming interfaces (API) it uses for multimedia and video applications. Chief among these are games for which without DirectX, the Windows platform simply would not dominate in gaming as it does. If for any reason you wish to download DirectX, the process isn’t too hard. If you follow our guide here, you can easily download DirectX.
How to Download and Install DirectX
To download DirectX for your PC, here is your guide.
- Visit the DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer Download Page on Microsoft’s site.
- Click the red Download button and then the blue Next button to save the setup file to your computer. Microsoft will recommend a couple of their other products after clicking the Download link, but you can uncheck those boxes if you’d rather not download them. If you skip downloading those, the Next button will be renamed to No thanks and continue.
- Complete the DirectX installation by following any directions from Microsoft’s website or from the DirectX installation program. This DirectX download will install on Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, or Windows XP. Don’t worry that it says it’s only supported through a different version of Windows! Whatever DirectX files are missing will be replaced as necessary.
- Next, restart your computer, even if you’re not prompted to do so.
- After restarting your computer, test to see if updating to the latest version of DirectX corrected the problem you were having.
- That is al you need to do.
Please note the following: All modern Windows operating systems include DirectX by default, so you shouldn’t ever need to “install” DirectX as a software program, per se. However, Microsoft has been known to release updated versions of DirectX, and installing the latest updates might be the fix to a DirectX problem you’re having or may give performance increases in your games and graphics programs.
Certainly, we are sure you now know how to Download and Install DirectX. Good luck!