FIFA has released the nominees for the 2016 Puskas Award. This year’s award contains 10 nominees. The Puskas Award is given to the best goal of the year. The award was established on 20 October 2009 by FIFA under Sepp Blatter’s leadership. The award can be awarded to either male or female footballers.
The Puskas award is in honour of Ferenc Puskás, a Real Madrid striker between the 1950s and the 1960s. Puskás scored a once world record of 84 goals in 85 internationals for Hungary. He is one of the top scorers of the 20th century with 512 goals in 528 matches.
Page Table of Contents
Also Read: Griezmann Wins La Liga Best Player
FIFA Puskas Award 2016 Nominees
– Marlone (Corinthians). April 21, 2016. Copa Liberadores match against Cobresal.
-Hal Robson-Kanú (Wales). July 1, 2016. Euro 2016 quarter-final against Belgium.
– Daniuska Rodríguez (Venezuela). March 14, 2016. Copa América under-17 match against Colombia.
– Simon Scrabb (Atvidaberg). October 31, 2015. Swedish league match against Gelfie.
– Faiz Subri (Pulau Pinang). February 16, 2016. Malaysian league match against Pahan.
– Leo Messi (Argentina). June 21, 2016. Copa América match against USA.
– Mario Gaspar (Spain). November 13, 2015. International friendly against England
-Saúl (Atlético Madrid). April 27, 2016. Champions League semi-final against Bayern Munich.
– Hlompo Kekana (South Africa). March 26, 2016. Africa Cup of Nations qualifying match against Cameroon.
Also Read: Hazard Wins October Player Of The Month
MonthThe past winners since its inception are
2009: Cristiano Ronaldo
2010: Hamit Altintop
2011: Miroslav Stoch
2012: Neymar Júnior
2013: Zlatan Ibrahimovic
2014: James Rodríguez
2015: Wendell Lira
The nominees will be reduced to three finalists with the winner to be decided by fans’ votes on the Fifa.com website and the award handed out on January 9 at the FIFA gala.