There are many awards given to many Nigerians. Unfortunately, full persons know the full meaning of these awards. And, fewer even know the full list of Nigerian National awards. We will give you the full list as well as their meanings. So, whether for personal knowledge or for job interviews, this could come handy some day. Read on.
The Nigerian National awards (Nigerian National Honours) were instituted by the National Honors Act No. 5 of 1964, during the Nigerian First Republic to honour Nigerians who have rendered service to the benefit of the nation. So, that means, the award is given on the basis on the awardees contribution to the Nigerian cause in one way or the other.
Nigerian National Honours Eligibility
The Award is open to all citizens of Nigeria at home and abroad.
Full List Of Nigerian National Awards and Their Meanings
Here are the Full List Of Nigerian National Awards and their meanings.
Order of the Federal Republic
- Grand Commander of the Order of the Federal Republic (GCFR)
- Commander of the Order of the Federal Republic (CFR)
- Officer of the Order of the Federal Republic (OFR)
- Member of the Order of the Federal Republic (MFR)
Order of the Niger
- Grand Commander of the Order of the Niger (GCON)
- Commander of the Order of the Niger (CON)
- Officer of the Order of the Niger (OON)
- Member of the Order of the Niger (MON)
The GCFR and GCON are customarily respectively bestowed on former occupants of the office of President of Nigeria and Vice President of Nigeria including former military heads of state of Nigeria and Chiefs of General Staff. The GCON is also customarily bestowed on the Chief Justice of Nigeria and the President of the Nigerian Senate during their first year in office, while the CON is customarily bestowed on Justices of the Supreme Court of Nigeria.
REASONS FOR NATIONAL HONOURS
The Nigerian National award is often a reward for:
- Hard work
- Meritorious service
- Outstanding feat
- Selfless service
How To Obtain Nigerian National award
The Nigerian National Honours can be obtained through nomination and application. Any Nigerian citizen of outstanding merit can be nominated by one or more Nigerian citizens. An individual can also nominate him/herself by applying to the Board for this purpose. Where two or more Nigerians are collaborating on any deserving undertaking, they can be similarly nominated for a joint Award.
Nigerian National Award Nomination/Application Procedures
- Nominations shall be made strictly on the prescribed Nomination/Application Form, and in the format therein. Sponsors should provide brief information on themselves. The Nomination/Application Form may either be collected at the NNMA Secretariat or downloaded from the NNMA website, www.nnma.gov.ng.
- Only one nomination/application may be submitted on the prescribed application form.
- In private consultation with the nominee, the nomination/application form shall be accompanied by:
- The curriculum vitae of each candidate.
- A statement, preferably by the candidate, of between 250 – 500 words, specifying/defining and clearly illustrating in concrete terms, NOT generalities, what the candidate considers his/her unique and meritorious contribution to knowledge in his/her field of endeavor/specialization to merit consideration for the NNOM award.
- A list of not more than ten publications, cited in the candidate’s curriculum vitae, which in the nominee’s consideration, buttresses his/her claim to uniqueness and merit. Copies of the ten publications must be submitted with the application.
- Portrait photographs of the candidate.
- Furthermore, all nominations and supporting documents, including copies of the ten publications submitted to buttress the nominee’s claim to uniqueness and merit, must reach the Secretary of the Nigerian National Merit Award on or before the stipulated deadline. Any nomination or application including the specified requirements arriving later than the deadline will not be considered.
- All supporting documents, including the nomination form should be sent in three (3) copies.
- Also, candidates with incomplete documents shall not be considered.
- Finally, neither the Governing Board nor any of its Specialized Committees of Assessors shall entertain or enter into any correspondence with candidates or their sponsors regarding the processing of, or decision on any Nomination.
You have now with you the Full List Of Nigerian National Awards. Any comments? Please use the comment box below. Thanks.