Do you know you can get your name into the Guinness World Records Book? Now you have known. In every man, there is a deep desire to be recognised and celebrated. It is a universal feeling irrespective of one’s creed, religion, race or background. The Guinness World Record has been a reliable way of recognising individuals who set and broke world records. Not to be deterred, you too can become a world record breaker. We will show you how to break/set a world record.
As the title says Guinness World Records: How To Break/Set A World Record, there are two variables involved: breaking a record and setting a record. To set a record simply means to do something which no one has ever done. That is, to bring into existence a totally different new record. To break a record is all about exceeding what someone has already done. For example, we have the world’s fastest man. To break the record, you have to run faster than the fastest man on had already done. By so doing, you have broken an existing record.
Page Table of Contents
What Makes A World Record
In knowing how to break/set a world record, you need to know what a world record is. Not every record is qualified to be considered a world record. To know what really constitutes a world record, the action, event or activity must fulfil some key criteria including:
- Measurable – Is it the fastest / longest / heaviest / most?
- Breakable – Can the record be broken or repeated by someone else? All world record titles must be open to being challenged.
- Standardizable – Can the record title be done universally?
- Verifiable – Can the claim be proven? For example, a claim such as ‘the man who never drank water’ can never be verified unless the man spent his whole life from birth under surveillance by a witness.
- One Variable – We can verify the largest painting but would not consider the largest painting by the most people.
- Universal – The proposal must be something, or about something that is known to the world’s majority. It cannot be too specific / regional.
How To Break/Set A World Record
To break/set a record, here are the steps to follow.
- Register for an account at: http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/set-a-record
- You will receive an email with an activation link. Click on the link, and you will be brought to a dashboard page.
- Click on the green ‘Apply for a record’ button.
- Search for the record that you want to break.
- When you find the record, click the ‘Apply Now’ button. But, if you cannot find the record you can apply for a new one by clicking ‘Apply for a new record title’ at the bottom of the page.
- Complete the application form.
Once your application is submitted, the Records Management Team at Guinness World Records HQ will review the application. If you have applied for an existing title, or for a new title that is found acceptable, the Record Guidelines will be made available to you via your online account, as well as the Guide to Your Evidence. This outlines the evidence you need to submit in order for Guinness World Records to assess the outcome of your record title attempt. This document will also include printable templates of documents to submit to us.
After this, the expert Records Management Team will assess your evidence. If your attempt is verified as successful, they will send you one complimentary Official GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS™ Record-Holder Certificate to confirm your record-holder status!
Since you have seen and known how to break/set a world record, we expect to see you setting or breaking a new record. Our committed onlinedailys team are always at your service to answer your questions. Let us hear your thought on this matter. Thank you.