NYSC certificate of exemption is a certificate issued by NYSC to someone who by law cannot participate in the NYSC program. It means there are legal provisions that would hinder one from participating in NYSC. Below, shall highlight the legal provisions that limits one from participating in NYSC.
This is an official information obtained from NYSC and should be considered a reliable guide for anyone who meets up with the requirement for exemption.
Below Is How To Obtain NYSC Certificate Of Exemption
As stated in NYSC’s website, it states that ”In accordance with the National Youth Service Corps Decree 1993 section 2 subsection (1) it is stipulated that;
“With effect from 1st August, 1985, a person shall NOT be called upon to serve in the service corps if, at the date of graduation or obtaining his diploma or other professional qualification:
- He is over the age of thirty (30) years
- He has served in the Armed Forces of the Federation or the Nigeria Police Force for a period of more than nine months; or
- He is a member of staff of any of the following:
- The Nigerian Security Organization or
- The State Security Service, or
- The National Intelligence Agency or
- The Defence Intelligence Service
- He has been conferred with any National Honour.
These categories of persons are therefore exempted from service and issued with the Certificates of Exemption.”
Also See: NYSC States’ Orientation Camp Addresses
Procedures To Get NYSC Certificate Of Exemption
To get the NYSC certificate of Exemption starts from when the NYSC list is released according to NYSC,
The process begins from the Corps Producing Institutions.
- The tertiary institutions attended. The School submits the master list of their graduates alongside with the Senate approved result to NYSC.
- A print-out is processed by NYSC classifying those to be called up for service and those to be exempted. This print-out is sent back to the Institutions for verifications and corrections after which they are returned to NYSC as an agreed/corrected document.
- With the print-out, the Certificates of Exemption are produced, documented and sent back to the Institutions for issuance to the appropriate persons.
- Please note: Collection of Certificate of Exemption for home trained graduates is only done in the Institution of graduation and not in NYSC office
Also See: How To Make Your NYSC Year Count
In essence, candidates for NYSC certificate of Exemption must work hand-in-hand with the school of their graduation. The school serves as a link between the individual and NYSC, until the certificate is obtained. Good luck to you.