Have you ever had a situation where you sent an uncompleted mail? It could be embarrassing at most. Sometimes, while typing a mail, you could send it long before you completed it. Or maybe, after hitting the send button, you realize you made some mistakes or you failed to add some crucial information. In that situation, you would really need to recall the sent email. We will show you how to unsend email in Gmail and outlook.
Gmail and Outlook has features that allows you to recall emails you have sent. This tutorial is to guide you through how you can achieve that either in Gmail to Outlook mail. The processes are quite different. Let us show you.
How To Unsend Email In Gmail
When you send an email, Gmail automatically gives you the option to undo the message you sent. By “Undo”, you can prevent the message from going to the mail of the intended recipient.
So, all you have to do is to click on “Undo” immediately and it will be recalled. However, you can use your settings to increase the period of time allowed to recall the email message you have sent. Let’s show you how to do that immediately.
- Log into your Gmail account.
- The next thing to do is to go to settings.
- The next step is to locate the place for “Undo Send”. Then click on it.
- You will be allowed to choose how many seconds you want. The Maximum is 30 seconds.
- You have the options 0f 5, 10, 20 and 30 seconds. Choose anyone you want.
- Then, click on “Save Changes” at the bottom of the page. You are done.
Also See: How To Use Gmail Offline Without Data
How To Unsend Email in Outlook Mail
You can also be able to unsend email in outlook mail. The advantage in Outlook is that you can recall a mail that has been sent even hours before. Here is the guide you will have to follow.
- Log into your outlook mail.
- Then, click on “Sent Items” folder on the side of the window.
- When the page opens, right click on the particular email you want to unsend or recall.
- Under the message tab, you will click on “Actions”. Then, click on “Recall This”. (if Recall This Message isn’t available, it’s most likely not enabled by your organization)
- Click Delete unread copies of this message or Delete unread copies and replace with a new message, then click
- If you choose to send a replacement message, compose it and click.
Also See: How To Set Up Gmail In Outlook To Send & Receive Emails
Why Unsend Doesn’t Work In Outlook Mail Always
Most times, to recall email in Outlook doesn’t always work out. Below are the reasons why it might be so.
- It has been opened. Once the recipient of the email has already opened it, you will not be able to recall the email. They’ll get a note that you wanted to recall it, but it will stay in their inbox anyway.
- Sent to a public folder. Sending an email to a public folder makes it difficult to recall, since it only takes one person to open it.
- It was sent to a different email Service. If the email is sent to a different email service such as Yahoomail, Gmail, Yandex mail etc, it won’t work.
Also See: How To Create Outlook Email Account Easily – Outlook Account Sign Up
As you have seen, the guide on how to unsend email in Gmail and Outlook are quite different. But, knowing how to do this can go a long way to help you. Now you are equipped for future occurrences.
If you found this helpful, kindly use the comment box below and tell us. You can also share to help others who might need it.