Mega, branded as MEGA, is one of the best free online cloud storage system you can find. It is a cloud storage and file hosting service offered by Mega Limited, an Auckland-based company. The service is offered primarily through web-based apps. It also has the Mega mobile apps available for Windows Phone, Android and iOS. In this post, we will show you how to use Mega Cloud Storage eaither for business or personal uses.
One of the things that make Mega popular is that it has high security. This feature where all files are end-to-end encrypted locally before they are uploaded. This prevents anyone (including employees of Mega Limited) from accessing the files without knowledge of the pass key used for encryption. Also, the service was previously noted for a large 50 GB storage allocation for free accounts. However, this was reduced to 15 GB, with additional amounts offered only on an expiring trial basis.
Uniquely, it has up to 8TB available for paid accounts. As of January 20, 2018, Mega claims to have 100 million registered users in more than 245 countries and territories, and more than 40 billion files have been uploaded to the service. This guide on how to use Mega cloud storage will include guides on how to create account as well as how to upload files into your account.
How To Use Mega Cloud Storage
So, let’s break these down and teach you all you will need to know about this.
How To Create Mega.nz Account
To create Mega account is very simple. All you need to do is
- Visit https://mega.nz/register.
- Fill in the registration form. The following information will be required:
- Then, you are required to agree to the “Terms of Service”.
- Afterward, click on “Create Account”.
- Your account is created.
How To verify Your Account
After creating your account, you will be required to verify your account. To do this,
- Open the inbox for the email address which you typed into the “E-Mail” text box and sign in if necessary.
- Click the MEGA Email Verification Required email from “MEGA”.
- Click the red Verify my email button in the body of the email.
- Type in your password.
- Then, click on “Confirm Mega account”.
- Then, click on “Free”. This registers you for the free version of Mega. We will highlight features below.
Mega Free Vs Paid Account
So, you may want to know the major differences between the Mega free and the Mega paid account. Below are some of the differences.
- Free account users receive:
- 15 GB of base storage quota.
- An additional 35 GB trial at signup expires after one month.
- Additional storage allowances can be activated through various “achievements”, but also expire. The maximum permanent storage is 50 GB.
- Paid account users are provided with four tiers of options:
- 200 GB storage (1 TB of bandwidth per month)
- 1 TB storage (2 TB of bandwidth per month)
- 4 TB storage (8 TB of bandwidth per month)
- 8 TB storage (16 TB of bandwidth per month)
How To Create Folders
So, we are done with how to create Mega account. Now, let’s go deep into how to use Mega cloud storage by seeing how to create folders.
- Log into your account.
- Then, to the far right, click on “New Folder”.
- In the next opened page, you are to type in Folder name.
- Then, click on “Create”. You are done.
Also See: How To Share iCloud Storage With Family
How To Upload Files Into Folders
Let’s see how you can upload a file into your account.
- If you want to upload a file into a folder, then, open the folder first.
- Secondly, click on “upload File”.
- If you want to upload a whole folder of files, then, click on “upload Folder”.
- From there, you can select the file or folder you want to upload. If you want to upload multiple files, use the Control Key (Command Key on Apple) and select the items you want to upload.
- Then, click on “open” if you are upload files or “upload” if you are uploading a folder.
- Then, allow it to load. And, you are done.
How To Download Files
We are moving on on how to use Mega Cloud storage. So, you want to download a file, here is how to go about it.
- Go to the location of the file that you want to download.
- Click on the file that you want to download. This will select the file.
- Click ⋯. This icon is either in the lower-right corner of the file (grid view) or on the far-right side of the file’s name (list view). A drop-down menu will appear.
- Select Download…. It’s in the drop-down menu. Doing so prompts a pop-out menu to appear.
- In the pop-out menu, click either Standard Download to download the file as-is or Download as ZIP to download the file in a ZIP folder. The file will begin downloading.
How To Share Files
- Go to the file or folder that you want to share with another MEGA user.
- Click the icon for the file or folder that you want to share.
- Click ⋯. It’s either in the lower-right corner of the file (grid view) or on the far-right side of the file’s name (list view). A drop-down menu will appear.
- Click Sharing. This option is in the drop-down menu. Doing so opens the Sharing pop-up window.
- Type the email address of the person with whom you want to share your file or folder into the text box in the middle of the pop-up window.
- You can add additional email addresses by pressing the Tab ↹ key after entering each email address.
- Click the Read-only box, then select one of the following options:
- Read-only — The person with whom you share the file or folder can view, but not edit, the shared item.
- Read & Write — The person with whom you share the file or folder can view and edit the shared item.
- Full access — The person with whom you share the file or folder can view, edit, delete, and download the shared item.
- Click Done. It’s in the bottom-right corner of the window. This will send a sharing link to the email address you entered.
- Your recipient will need to have a MEGA account in order to open, view, edit, and/or download the file or folder.
Download Mega App
You can also use the Mega app. To download,
Official portal is www.mega.nz
So you have seen the guide on how to use Mega cloud storage. If you have any question, kindly ask below. Please share to help others.