How M-Pesa Works – You may have heard of M-Pesa online payment services. You may have even created an account with them. However, w are sure that not many persons know how M-Pesa works. This is why we have decided to bring you this work. If you really want to know to use M-Pesa, then you are in the right place. This tutorial will guide you through all the major processes you need to know.
So, it is right to ask the simple question: What can I do with M-Pesa? Great. The answer to this is what we intend to tackle here. Not only are we going to show you what you can do, we will also go further to show you how they can be done. Are we ready?
Page Table of Contents
How M-Pesa Works – How To Use M-Pesa
Let’s break down the processes for you below. For whatever you are doing, log into your account first before you can carry them out.
How To Check M-Pesa Balance
You can check your current M-PESA balance status at a fee of KSHs.1 only. Note that your balance is also shown at the end of every SMS each time you do an M-PESA transaction.
- Select “Show balance”
- Enter your secret PIN
- Wait for SMS confirmation message with your balance.
How To Deposit Into M-Pesa Account
To put money into your M-PESA account you will:
- Go to an authorized M-PESA agent with your phone and original ID.
- Inform the agent how much you wish to deposit.
- They will use their agent phone to send you e-money in exchange for cash.
- You and your agent will receive an SMS from M-PESA confirming the transaction.
To send money through M-PESA you must first deposit money into your own account. You cannot deposit money directly into another person’s M-PESA account.
How To Send Money From M-Pesa
You can send or transfer money to any other mobile phone user, even if they are not a Safaricom subscriber. To send money you must first deposit cash into your own M-PESA account.
- To send money, go to the ‘Safaricom’ menu and select ‘M-PESA’
- Select ‘Send Money’.
- Enter your recipient’s phone number, the amount you wish to send and your PIN.
You will receive a screen with the information you have entered above, (e.g., Send money to 0721 234567, KSh 2000) confirm that it is correct then Press Ok. A pop up with the name of the recipient will appear on the screen. Remember to confirm the name of the recipient . To stop a wrong transaction, type 1 and press send within 15 seconds.
If you send money to the wrong number:
- Funds sent to a wrong number will be reversed only if still available in the wrong recipient’s account.
- If successful, you will receive an SMS indicating that a reversal has been done.
Also see: How To Register M-Pesa Account
How To Withdraw from M-PESA
We are still going on with How M-Pesa Works. To withdraw money works in different ways.
If you are a Registered M-PESA Customer
Go to an M-PESA Agent and
- Confirm the agent has sufficient funds for your transaction.
- Give your phone number and show your original ID.
- Go to your M-PESA menu, select ‘Withdraw cash’.
- Enter the Agent number, the amount you wish to withdraw and your PIN.
- You will receive a screen with the above transaction details. Confirm they are correct then Press OK.
- You and your agent will receive an SMS confirming the transaction.
The agent will then give you the cash and request you to sign a Log Book which is a record of M-PESA transactions done in that store.
If You Are a Non-Registered Customer
Go to an M-PESA Agent and:
- Confirm the agent has sufficient funds for your transaction.
- Present the SMS containing the M-PESA voucher number (notification confirming receipt of cash).
- Give your phone number and show original ID.
- The agent will enter the ‘one time code’ that is displayed on the customer’s SMS notification.
- Both the agent and the customer will receive an SMS confirming the transaction.
- The agent will give you your money and request you to sign the Log book which is a record of M-PESA transactions done in that store.
When you send money to an unregistered customer, they will receive a one-time voucher from M-PESA with a 4 digit code which they will use to withdraw money from an agent. If SMS is not received or accidentally deleted, ask them to call line 234 and request for voucher to be resent to them.
M-Pesa ATM Withdrawal Service
ATM withdrawal service is available to M-PESA registered customers and is currently available at PesaPoint, Equity Bank Branches, Diamond Trust Bank, KCB, Family Bank and NIC Bank ATM’s. To withdraw cash you will need to follow these instructions:
First on your phone:
- Select ‘Withdraw Cash’ from the M-PESA menu
- Select ‘From ATM’
- Enter Agent Number which is 555555 if you’re withdrawing from these ATMs: Pesapoint, Diamond Trust Bank, KCB, Family Bank and NIC Bank and if you’re withdrawing from Equity Bank ATM use the Agent Number 286286
- Enter your M-PESA PIN
You will receive an SMS notification from M-PESA with a 6-digit authorization code. (The code expires after 10 minutes and you will be expected to initiate the transaction afresh if you need to withdraw money again.)
Then on the ATM:
- Select the M-PESA button on the PesaPoint, Equity Bank, Diamond Trust Bank, KCB, Family Bank, NIC Bank ATM
- Select your preferred language
- Enter the 6-digit ATM Authorization Code on the ATM keyboard.
- Also, enter your Safaricom mobile number.
- Enter the amount you wish to withdraw, press CONTINUE to proceed with transaction.
- ATM will dispense your cash and issue you with a receipt. You will also receive an SMS from M-PESA confirming the transaction.
How To Get M-PESA Account Statements on E-Mail
You can now receive Monthly M-PESA statements easily and conveniently.
- Simply dial *234# from your mobile phone to access the menu, Select ‘My M-PESA Information’, then ‘M-PESA Statement’.
- Select ‘Full Statement’ then register with your National ID or document of registration number, then enter and confirm your email.
- You will then get a message confirming that you have registered for the service.
- Your M-PESA statement will be sent to you via email by the 5th of every month.
So wherever you are receive M-PESA statements at your convenience.
That is that on How M-Pesa Works. We have given you a very detailed analysis on what you can do with M-Pesa. I am sure this was helpful to you.
So, if you have any question on How M-Pesa Works, kindly use the comment box below and we shall get across to you.