Proper documentation of marriages, including marriage registration is an important task to carry out. Because obtaining a marriage certificate is very crucial. Also to know that A marriage certificate is the most crucial document of your marriage. It is a proof that your are legally married to a person.
That is why on this page we have listed out Marriage Registration Requirements in the UK and importance of marriage certificate. We have also included how to obtain a marriage divorce certificate
As a couple to be (or already has become) when you go to the register office, you need to take proof of your name, age and nationality and other data of yours for the registration to be completed.
Page Table of Contents
Here are Marriages Registration Requirements in the UK
- valid passport
- birth certificate
- national identity card from the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland
- certificate of registration
- certificate of naturalisation
- biometric residence card or permit
- travel document
In a situation where by you’ve changed your name, you must bring proof – for example: a copy of a deed poll.
The registrar also needs proof of your address, for example a:
- valid UK or EEA driving licence
- gas, water or electricity bill from the last 3 months
- bank or building society statement from the last month
- council tax bill from the last 12 months
- mortgage statement from the last 12 months
- current tenancy agreement
- letter from your landlord confirming you live there and including your landlord’s name, address and their signature dated within the last 7 days
If you’ve been divorced or widowed
If you’ve been married or in a civil partnership before, you need to take either:
- a decree absolute or final order
- the death certificate of your former partner
A foreign divorce will usually be recognized in England and Wales if it was valid in the country where it took place.
The registrar will check your overseas divorce documents and may have to get in touch with the General Register Office to confirm whether your marriage or civil partnership can go ahead.
Payment Fee for Marriage Registration
Please note that You each need to pay a £35 fee when you attend the register office to give notice. It can be more if you or your partner are from outside EEA or Switzerland.
Important of of Marriage Certificate
- Certificate of marriage is a document, which provides valuable evidence of marriage.
- Certificate of marriage is a document providing social security, self-confidence particularly among married women.
- Certificate of marriage is useful in getting the visa for the wife/husband.
- It will be helpful in claiming the Bank deposits or Life Insurance benefits when the depositee or the Insurer dies without a nomination or other wise.
There are still other reasons why you should register your marriage – so note that the importance are not limited to this listed here on the page.
This information was gathered from the UK Government official website (www.gov.uk) for more details.