The Nigeria Super Eagles 23-man squad for Russia 2018 world Cup has been released. The final squad was released after the pre-world Cup friendly match with the Three Lions of England. The match ended in a 2-1 defeat with goals coming from Chelsea’s Gary Cahill and Tottenham’s Harry Kane in the first half, and a response from Arsenal’s Alex Iwobi for Nigeria in the second half. The Nigeria 2018 World Cup Squad was reduced to 23 from the initial 30-man squad.
As expected, not every one will make the squad. Moses Simon has already been ruled out with injury. In the Nigeria 2018 World Cup Squad, there are 18 new debutantes. These people join the likes of John Obi Mikel, Ahmed Musa, Ogenyi Onazi, Kenneth Omeruo and Victor Moses to complete the squad. let’s see who made the cut.
Nigeria 2018 World Cup Squad
- Ikechukwu Ezenwa (Enyimba, Nigeria),
- Daniel Akpeyi (Chippa United, South Africa),
- Francis Uzoho (Deportivo La Coruna, Spain)
Also See: Confirmed France 2018 World Cup Squad
- William Troost-Ekong (Bursaspor, Turkey),
- Leon Balogun (Brighton, England),
- Kenneth Omeruo (Chelsea, England),
- Bryan Idowu (Amkar Perm, Russia),
- Chidozie Awaziem (FC Porto, Portugal),
- Abdullahi Shehu (Bursaspor, Turkey),
- Elderson Echiejile (Cercle Brugge, Belgium),
- Tyronne Ebuehi (Benfica, Portugal)
- John Mikel Obi (Tianjin Teja, China),
- Ogenyi Onazi (Trabzonspor, Turkey),
- John Ogu (Hapoel Beer Sheba, Israel)
- Wilfred Ndidi (Leicester City, England),
- Oghenekaro Etebo (Feirense, Portugal),
- Joel Obi (Torino, Italy)
Also See: England Russia 2018 World Cup Squad
- Odion Ighalo (Changchun Yatai, China),
- Ahmed Musa (Leicester City, England),
- Victor Moses (Chelsea, England),
- Alex Iwobi (Arsenal, England),
- Kelechi Iheanacho (Leicester City, England),
- Simeon Nwankwo (Crotone, Italy)
Elderson Echiejile will be making his first World Cup appearance after losing his place to Ejike Uzoenyi in Brazil 2014 due to injury. Captain Mikel prepares for his second World Cup and will anchor the midfield with support from Ogenyi Onazi, recuperating Wilfred Ndidi, John Ogu, Oghenekaro Etebo and Joel Obi.
The Super Eagles head to Austria for the final phase of their World Cup preparations. The team will play against Czech Republic on June 6 in their final friendly before the World Cup. Nigeria is grouped with Argentina, Croatia and Iceland for the World Cup that starts on June 14. The Super Eagles play their opening game against Croatia on June 16.