The Nigerian National ID Card is a very important document for Nigeria and the citizens. Just like every country in the world, the need of having a national identity database cannot be overstated. As a result, we want to show you how to register national ID Card, as well as the National ID Card Registration Requirements.
When you register for the National ID card, you will be given a National Identification Number – NIN. This NIN is like your password. It is your unique code that distinguishes you from every other Nigerian. It serves important purposes as well.
So, let us show you how to carry out National ID Card registration.
Page Table of Contents
How To Register For National ID Card
If you want to carry out the National ID Card registration, then, you must follow these processes.
- Applicant walks into the enrolment Centre with a supporting document.
- Applicant will be verified to ascertain if he/she has ever enrolled using the NIN verification portal.
- Next, applicant will be issued an enrolment form to fill if he/she has not enrolled before. OR the printed Barcode slip will be collected if the applicant had pre-enrolled earlier using the pre-enrolment service.
- Applicant’s forms will be vetted by a NIMC Official to crosscheck the information filled on the form against the supporting document provided and to check for errors/mistake filled on the form. Note: applicants who cannot read nor write should be accompanied by a literate individual who can do the form filling for him/her.
- Applicant’s pre-filled information will be inputted on the NIMC Software by a NIMC enrolment officer or the Barcode slip will be scanned by the NIMC enrolment officer to populate all the required field.
- The enrolment officer will ask the applicant to double check his/her information for errors using the applicant monitor.
- If the applicant is satisfied with his/her demographic information, the biometrics (ten finger prints and facial image) of the applicant will be capture subsequently.
- After completing the enrolment, a Transaction ID Slip will be issued to the applicant as an evidence of the transaction. However, the Transaction slip does not confer the right to National Identification Number. The applicant will be requested to come back for the NIN within 2-7 working days or more, as it is subjected to availability of network, authentication and verification.
- A National Identification Number (NIN) Slip is issued to the applicants after processing.
- The National e-ID Card will be issued to applicant within 12 months after Issuance of NIN barring any unforeseen circumstances.
Nigerian National ID Card Registration Requirements
Here are the national ID registration supporting documents/National ID Card Registration Requirements. You just have to walk into the nearest NIMC Enrolment Centre with your BVN if you have one and any of the following required Original and Valid supporting documents:
- Old National id Card
- Driver’s License
- Voter’s card (Temporary or Permanent)
- Nigerian International passport
- Certificate of origin
- Attestation letter from a prominent ruler in your community
- Birth certificate
- Declaration of age
- Attestation letter from religious/traditional leader
- NHIS ID card
- Government staff id card
- Registered/recognized private organization staff id card
- School ID Card private/Public
What Is NIN?
Your National Identification Number (NIN) is used to tie together all records about you – demographic data, fingerprints, head-to-shoulder facial picture, other biometric data and digital signature – in the National Identity Database making it relatively easy to confirm and verify your identity when you engage in travels and transactions.
Importance of NIN
The NIN is so important to the individual (both home and abroad) and to the government. The importance is as follows:
- It is used for retrieving your captured information from the National Identity Database
- Your matching information associated with your NIN can be then used to verify that you are really who you say you are.
- Also, help provide accurate records about actual living/dead persons in every region of the country
- Help keep track of actual transactions as well as movement of people within and out of the country
- Help confirm which individuals are in actual need of particular Government services, e.g. age and retirement confirmation for pensioners.
- Cutting down the time needed for verifying documents to properly identify you in order to access the services you require
- Reducing errors in allocation of services to the right people
- Prevention of fraud (419) where someone else impersonates you
- Verification of the real identity of other people you go into financial or business transactions with or even people you wish to employ such as house help
- Ensuring you are properly identified when receiving health services, e.g. verifying the actual blood types of blood donors at hospitals
- Verification of voter.
With these Nigerian National ID Card Registration Requirements, you can go ahead and register for National ID Card in Nigeria. Good luck as you go.