An exemption certificate is issued to someone who by law could not participate in the NYSC scheme despite the fact that such person attended a regular program in a University or Polytechnic program and graduated. Before you can Obtain NYSC Exemption Letter, you must meet up with certain criteria. We will look at that shortly.
There are different procedures to Obtain NYSC Exemption Letter for Home trained graduates and foreign trained graduates. All the requirements, guidelines and procedures are outlined below.
How To Obtain NYSC Exemption Letter
We will treat the procedures separately. Read on.
HOME TRAINED GRADUATES
The process begins from the Corps Producing Institutions.
- The tertiary institutions attended. The School submits the master list of their graduates alongside with the Senate approved result to NYSC.
- A print-out is processed by NYSC classifying those to be called up for service and those to be exempted. This print-out is sent back to the Institutions for verifications and corrections after which they are returned to NYSC as an agreed/corrected document.
- With the print-out, the Certificates of Exemption are produced, documented and sent back to the Institutions for issuance to the appropriate persons.
- Please note: Collection of Certificate of Exemption for home trained graduates is only done in the Institution of graduation and not in NYSC office.
FOREIGN TRAINED GRADUATES
- The process begins with the evaluation of credentials and other related documents i.e. International passport.
- After the evaluation of credentials the foreign trained graduate is then registered and this is physically done at the NYSC directorate headquarters, Abuja. It is at the point of registration that the classification of who to be called-up or who to be exempted; is determined.
- Certificates of Exemption are therefore produced for those exempted from service.
- Such Certificates of Exemption for foreign graduates are to be collected at the NYSC directorate headquarters at the stipulated time communicated.
- Please note:
- Collection of Certificate of Exemption is grouped under the three batches of the service year, depending on the date of registration. This equally would be communicated to exempted graduates at the point of registration.
- Collection of Certificate of Exemption is strictly with identification such as International passport and the bearer MUST BE PHYSICALLY PRESENT.
Eligibility for Exemption
The following categories of graduates are eligible for the NYSC certificate of exemption.
- He is over the age of thirty (30) years
- He has served in the Armed Forces of the Federation or the Nigeria Police Force for a period of more than nine months; or
- He is a member of staff of any of the following:
- He has been conferred with any National Honour.
Issues of complaints and corrections for home trained graduates are to be routed through the Institutions of graduation. The school then forwards such cases with necessary attachments such as photocopy of print-out to NYSC for the purpose of rectification or further necessary action. Foreign trained graduates are to submit handwritten application with the attachment of photocopy of International passport –data page and original Certificate of Exemption to be addressed to the Director-General, NYSC NDHQ, Abuja, indicating their address and telephone number.
That’s that. Kindly share this to help others that might need it. Thanks.