Abacha is a very delicious meal in Nigeria. It is mostly associated with the Igbos of Nigeria. Although, other parts of the country eat it as well. Abacha or African Salad serves different purposes for the Igbos. It can be used as kola to visitors. Some local communities used it for traditional marriage ceremonies. The list of its importance goes on. Therefore, it deserves to be prepared deliciously to be enjoyed. Let me guide you on How To Prepare Delicious Abacha (African Salad).
How To Prepare Delicious Abacha (African Salad)
To prepare this delicious delicacy, you need to have the needed ingredients available. There are very many ingredients you can use to garnish this delicacy. I will list some of them below. So, below are the ingredients needed to prepare a delicious Abacha.
Note: the quantity of these ingredients depends on the quantity you want to prepare.
- Dried Abacha
- Ugba (Ukpaka)
- Palm Oil
- Maggi Cube
- Garden egg and Garden Egg Leaf
- Akanwu (Potash)
- Salt and Pepper
- Dried Fish/Fried Fish/Stock Fish
How To Prepare Abacha (African Salad)
After you have gotten the ingredients and kept them ready, the steps to prepare them are below:
- Soak the Abacha in hot/warm water for some minutes, sieve and keep aside.
- Cut your onions, garden egg and garden egg leaves. Blend the crayfish
- Cut the Ponmo/Kanda into tiny bits.
- Dissolve your potash in clean water. Sieve and remove the stony/sandy particles from it.
- Add the needed quantity of palm oil into the dissolved Potash. It will form a yellowish paste.
- Add the Crayfish and pepper to the paste. Stir carefully.
- Add the Ugba/ukpaka to the mixture and stir. Add the salt and Abacha also and stir.
- Also add the pieced Ponmo/Kanda meat and stir.
- After the above processes, you can now add your sliced garden egg and leaves, and the onions. You can either mix them all up or you use them to garnish the meal by placing it on the mixed Abacha after you have dished it in different plates.
- Add your Fried fish and other fish/meat used.
- Your Abacha is good to go. You can also serve with any drink of your choice.
You have now seen and read the step-by-step process of preparing Abacha. You can now use this recipe to entertain your visitors as well as family members. Go out there and purchase the ingredients and enjoy yourself with this simple yet delicious African salad!!!