If you want to go into agriculture business, one of the most viable areas is the poultry business. For starters, poultry business is one of the very lucrative businesses in Nigeria. Once you get your acts right, you can do this business quite well. For those interested, we have decided to bring to you the requirements for starting poultry business in Nigeria.
Before you go into any business, it is important to know what the business entails. It is very unadvisable that one starts a business without knowing all that it takes. This is why these requirements for starting poultry business in Nigeria will guide you properly.
Poultry Business is a big business in Nigeria. You may choose to ask why. The answer is simple. It gives enough meat and eggs for daily consumption of people. Eggs and chicken meat gives the necessary protein that the body needs. You may have heard or read “Eat an egg a day it is good for your daily growth”.
Before we go into showing you the requirements for starting poultry business in Nigeria, let’s clear some issues for you first.
There are major categories of poultry business. You can choose anyone to focus on. They include the following:
- Egg production (Layers breeding)
- Meat production (Broilers and cockerel breeding)
- Chicken breeding (Hatchery)
- Poultry feed production
- Poultry equipment manufacturing
- Egg and meat processing, packaging and marketing
So, let’s go ahead and show you what it takes to go into poultry business in Nigeria.
Requirements For Starting Poultry Business In Nigeria
So, you have chosen the category you want to focus on. So, what are the requirements?
- Feeders: Feeders are equipment used in feeding poultry birds. The food is deposited in the feeder and the birds feed from it. The amount of feeders provided for a poultry farm should be according to to amount of birds available. It is important that you always keep the feeders clean to ensure the health safety of the birds.
- Heaters or Brooders: It is essential that the temperature of the poultry farm be regulated especially during cold weather. The heater or brooder is an equipment used in regulating and increasing the temperature of the poultry farm. These helps to keep the birds warm when the weather is cold.
- Incubator: This is an instrument used in hatching eggs. Egg hatchery with an incubator can be described as a means of hatching of eggs in an unnatural way. These means can be employed when there are many eggs to be hatched.
- Chick box: The chick box is an equipment where the poultry birds are kept for egg laying. It has a roll away egg tray attached to it so that when eggs are laid, they roll away and the birds will not trample on the eggs. This particular equipment help in preventing egg damage.
- Fly Tray: Fly trap is an equipment used in controlling the number of flies around a poultry farm. It helps to poultry farmer reduce the number of flies in the poultry.
- Poultry Plucker Rubber Finger: This is an equipment applied to chicken dressing machine. These rubber fingers are fixed to the bottom and side plate of the dressing machine in order to produce many dressed chicken in a short period.
- Egg Tray: This is an equipment used in setting the eggs. Just like the name, it is a tray-like equipment where the eggs are place for sampling.
- Poultry Incubator Controller: Poultry incubator controller is an equipment used for controlling the incubator and timer counter. It displays the temperature and humidity condition of the incubator.
- Laying Nest: Laying nest is another equipment that help the birds for laying of eggs. One of the advantages of this equipment is that it increases the egg productivity of the poultry birds.
- Egg Scale: This is an equipment used in weighing the weight of the eggs. It helps the poultry farmer know the eggs that are fertile enough for hatchery because it is assumed that an underweight egg does not have what it take to form a chick.
- Egg Washer: Egg washer is an equipment that makes use of a powder called the egg washing powder. Water is added into the egg washer and then the egg washing powder is added also. It is used for washing the eggs before delivery.
- Water Pots and Drinkers: Neat water is required for growth and digestion in poultry birds just like in humans. Therefore, the drinkers are equipment used for supplying water to the birds. You must ensure that the drinkers are washed regularly to avoid disease.
- Cages and CoopsThis poultry equipment is used for keeping poultry birds. Coops and cages are poultry equipment suitable for small scale poultry farming.
Do you have any question on Requirements For Starting Poultry Business In Nigeria? Kindly use the comment box below and we shall attend to you immediately.