Nursing is one of the very most respectable professions around the globe. Over the years, more people apply for Nursing annually. However, one of the major challenges facing prospective applicants is the issue of knowing the requirements of Nursing. So today, we will show you the Requirements For Studying Nursing In Nigeria. We hope this will be of great help to you.
Perhaps, you are about applying for Jamb seeking admission into a nursing school, or you are a secondary school student who wants to know what it takes to do nursing in Nigeria, these Requirements For Studying Nursing In Nigeria would be very helpful to. After going through this, you should be able to understand all you need to provide in order to pursue a nursing career in Nigeria.
Page Table of Contents
Requirements For Studying Nursing In Nigeria
There are different categories of Nursing programs in Nigeria. We shall look at them and highlight the requirements for each of them also.
Requirement for General Nursing & Midwifery Education
This is the first Nursing program available to all intending nurses in Nigeria. It takes a 3 year school program to achieve this. At the end, the student is awarded with a title of Registered Nurse. The requirements include:
- SSCE certificate with a minimum of 5 credits that must include a science subject eg (Biology, Chemistry and or Physics) and English language in not more than two sittings.
- Must be between 18-35 years before applying.
Requirement for Post Basic Nursing Education
Students who finish as Registered Nurse and wish to further on will go for the Post Basic Nursing Education. This, after successful graduation, qualifies you to be known as “Registered Midwife” (RM). The requirements include:
- Must have obtained the qualification of “Registered Nurse”.
- Must meet up with the academic qualification and requirements of the admitting nursing school in Nigeria.
- Undergo a schooling/training of 1 year.
Requirements For Post Basic Psychiatric Nursing Programme
Candidates who wish to apply for this must meet up with the following requirements. They include;
- Must be a registered nurse.
- Must meet up with the admission requirements of the admitting schools of psychiatric nursing in Nigeria.
- Finally, must undergo 1-year full training/schooling.
Requirements For Bachelor Of Nursing Science
To obtain the bachelor of Nursing science, applicant must meet up with the following criteria and requirements.
- Must have at least 5 credits in SSCE including in subjects as English, Mathematics and other science subjects.
- Must undergo a 5-year schooling/training program.
- Afterwards, candidate must go for a compulsory 1-year internship program in a Registered Health care institution.
- Upon graduation, the certificates or award obtainable include: Registered Nurse, Registered Midwife, Registered Public Health Nurse, Registered Psychiatric Nurse and B.Sc. in Nursing.
Requirements For Higher Degrees In Nursing
Nurses who wish to pursue higher degree in nursing must meet with the following requirements. They include:
- Meeting the admitting school’s entry requirements.
- Possible awards or certificates to be obtained include Master Degree (M.Sc.) and Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D).
Requirements For Professional Nursing Programs
The requirements for this include:
- Must be a registered Nurse/Midwife with at least one-year post registration (working) experience.
- Must have a current practicing licence.
- Also, applicant must meet with admitting school’s requirements.
- The duration for this is 1 year. However, Anesthetist Nursing programme runs for a year and 6 months (18months).
- Obtainable certificate: certificate in nursing in the area of clinical specialization.
All these are the Requirements For Studying Nursing In Nigeria. If you have any question, please use the comment box below. Thank you.