Do you have an image or picture file you want to use but the size is either too small or too big for the purpose? Well, there is good news for you. You can also resize an image to suit your taste and choice. I want to show you the different methods you can use to resize JPEG image on PC as well as on your mobile phones: be it android or iPhone and iOS phones.
JPEG, as we know, is one of the most universally accepted image format. Usually, a JPEG image format could work for different purposes. This is why it is very important for you to know how you can resize JPEG image on PC and phones. This will come in handy when there are specific instructions on the sizes of the image you would want to use for a purpose. Let’s show you how.
How To Resize JPEG Image
There are different ways you can do this. As you know, the format on PC and phones will not be the same. But, why worry when we are here to show you how.
How To Reduce Image File Size On PC
Method 1: Using Image Resizing Websites
There are many free image resizing websites you can use to resize a JPEG image without necessarily losing the image quality. We do not know the best. All you have to do is to go on google and search “Resize JPEG”. You will see many options you can select from. The format is usually often very similar.
- Log onto the site
- upload your image
- Follow on-screen instructions.
- Then download your resized image.
Method 2: Using Paint in Windows
Another way to resize JPEG image on your PC is by using the Paint app on your windows. So here is the format you can use to do this.
- Make a copy of the image you want to use. This will allow you to do the process again later if you aren’t happy with the results. Just right click on the image you want to use and click on “copy”, create a folder and save it.
- Then, open PAINT in windows.
- Open the image you want to use in paint. Right-click on the image file and select “Edit” to open it in Paint.
- If you want to resize the entire image, select the whole thing by pressing Ctrl+A. You can also click the “Select” button in the Home tab and choose “Select all.” You’ll see a dashed line appear around the edge of the image.
- You can find this in the Home tab, or you can press Ctrl+W. This will open the “Resize and Skew” window.
- You can choose to resize by percentage or by pixels. If you select “Pixels,” you can enter the exact size that you want the resized image to be. You can enter percentages larger than “100” to make the image bigger than the original.
- Once you click “OK,” your image will be resized according to the values you entered. There is no preview available, so you’ll need to apply the changes to see them.
- Your image will be resized, but the canvas will stay the original size. Click and drag the boxes around the edges of the canvas to resize it accordingly and remove excess white space.
- Once you’re satisfied with the new size, you can save the changes to the file. Select “Save As” from the File tab and choose “JPEG picture.” You can then name the file and choose where to save it.
- By default, Paint will maintain the original aspect ratio, and entering a value in one field will automatically change the value in the other. This keeps the image from stretching or squishing during the resize. You can uncheck “Maintain aspect ratio” if you want to be able to define both the Horizontal and Vertical fields independently.
- Making an image larger than the original will result in a blocky final image.
Method 3: Using Preview in Mac OS X
Using Preview is another way to resize JPEG image on your PC.
It’s always a good idea to create a backup of your original image file before making changes to its size. This will allow you to revert to the original in case something goes wrong or you don’t like the end result.
- Select the image file, press ⌘ Command+C, and then press ⌘ Command+V to make a copy in the same location.
- Open image in Preview. Usually this will open by default when you double-click the file. If the image opens in something else, you can right-click the file and select “Open With” and then “Preview.”
- Click the Tools menu and select “Adjust Size.” This will open a new window that will allow you to resize the image.
- Click the drop-down menu to select the units you want to use. You can select “Pixels,” “Percentage,” and several other units to scale the image by. Selecting “Pixels” will allow you to determine the exact size of the resized image.
- Enter the new width or height that you want the image to be. The two fields are linked, and changing one will change the other to keep the image proportions correct. This will prevent stretching or squishing of the image. If you want to freely resize both fields, uncheck “Scale proportionally” to unlink the two.
- Check out the new file size. You’ll be able to see what the new file size will be at the bottom of the window before you apply your changes. This is useful if you’re resizing the image to fit the file size limitations of email or other online services.
- Click “OK” to apply the changes. The image will be resized according to the settings you entered. If you aren’t happy with the results, press ⌘ Command+Z to undo the changes and revert to the original size.
- If you are happy with the new size, you can save your changes to the file. Click the “File” menu and select “save” to save your changes.
How To Resize JPEG Image on Phones
There are two different ways you can use to resize JPEG image on phones.
Method 4: Using an iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch
There is no built-in way to resize a picture on iOS devices, but there are a variety of apps that can perform the task for you. You can download these apps from your iOS device’s App Store. Some of the more popular apps include: Resize It, Image Resizer+, Desqueeze etc.
- Open the app and select the photo you want to resize. You’ll likely be prompted to give the app access to your photos. This is necessary for the app to be able to browse the photos stored on your device. Find the photo you want to resize and tap it to open it.
- Tap the “Resize” button. Most apps have various tools you can choose from, including resizing. Tap the “Resize” button to begin resizing the image.
- Enter a new size for the image. Different apps will have different interfaces, but generally you can select from a variety of preset sizes or you can enter your own custom resolution. The width and height will be linked, so that the proportions are maintained.
- Save your resized image to your camera roll. After resizing the image, tap the “Save” button to save it to your camera roll. You’ll be able to find it in your Photos app like you would any other image on your iOS device.
Method 5: Using Android Device
- Go to Google Play Store and download any android image resize app.
- Open the downloaded app and give it access to your photos.
- Open the photo you want to resize. Use the app to navigate to the photo that you want to resize. The process will vary depending on the app.
- Select the resize tool. After opening the image, you’ll likely need to select the “Resize” tool in the app.
- Select the size you want to make the image.
- Save your resized image.
There are different methods you can use to resize JPEG image whether on phone or on our Windows and Mac PCS. We have outlined them here for you. Choose any one that appeals most to you and use.
Have questions? Comment below and we shall attend to them all.