Having a Google Analytics installed on your site is a very important decision to make. Google Analytics helps you get a lot done of your website. Adding Google Analytics to your site helps you track your website traffic and gives valuable insights about your visitors. Let’s take a look at how to install Google Analytics to WordPress with or without a plugin.
Google Analytics provides you with different types of insights into your site and your visitors. Anyone who has a site either for personal or business purpose should a Google analytics installed in their WordPress site. And this is what we will show you how to do without delay.
Page Table of Contents
How To Install Google Analytics To WordPress
Below is the guide on how to install Google Analytics to WordPress without a plugin.
Step 1: Create Google Analytics Account
- The first step is to create a Google Analytics account online. To do this, visit Google Analytics Signup Page. You will need to sign up using your gmail account. If you do not have any, you will have to create a new gmail account.
- Afterwards, you will be prompted to sign in with your Gmail account.
- On the next screen, you will be given choice to choose between a website or mobile app. Make sure you select website. After that you need to enter account name (It will be the Google Analytics profile name for this website), Website name, website’s URL, country, and the time zone.
- Once you have entered this information, click on the Get Tracking ID button. You will be presented with Google Analytics terms and service which you must agree to, so click on I Agree button.
- Now you will be presented with your Google Analytics tracking code. You can copy this tracking code because you will need to enter it in your WordPress site.
Step 2: Add Google Analytics Without A Plugin
After signing up Google Analytics account, the next is to add the tracking code to your sight. This goes in the following steps.
- Copy the tracking code.
- Add the Tracking Code to the header.php file. This can be done using the following guide.
- Log in to your WordPress dashboard and navigate to Appearance » Editor.
- Now click the header.php file on the right-hand side below the Templates section.
- Paste the tracking code you just copied from your Analytics profile before the closing </head> tag.
- Then click Update File.
- That is all.
Step 3: How To Install Google Analytics To WordPress With A Plugin
We know lots of people wants to install Google Analytics using a plugin. We will show you how to do that using the number one Google analytics plugin: MonsterInsights.
MonsterInsights is the most popular Google Analytics plugin for WordPress. Over 1 million websites use it including the likes of Bloomberg, PlayStation, Zillow, and more. MonsterInsights has both a free version and the Pro version. In this tutorial, we will be using the MonsterInsights free version. So, let’s get to business then.
- The first thing you need to do is install and activate the MonsterInsights plugin.
- Upon activation the plugin will add a new menu item labeled ‘Insights’ to your WordPress admin menu. You need to visit Insights » Settings to configure the plugin settings.
- On this screen, you need to click on ‘Authenticate with your Google account’ button to connect Google Analytics with your WordPress site.
- This will redirect you to Google accounts where you will be asked to sign in or select a Google account if you are already signed in.
- Click on ‘Next’ to continue.
- Now you will be asked to allow MonsterInsights to access your Google Analytics account.
- Click on the ‘Allow’ button to continue.
- The final step is to select the profile you want to track. You need to select your website here and then click on the ‘Complete authentication’ button to continue.
- You will be now redirected back to your WordPress site.
To Install Google Analytics To WordPress is not something hard. From our steps here, you must have seen how easy it is to be done. If you have any challenge, we can help you out. Just use the comment box below.