A lot of people who use YouTube are not aware that there is an option for parental control. There is and this guide will show you how you can easily setup YouTube parental control to ensure that what your kids devour online is controlled and censored. This is because of the avalanche of content of different sorts.
Anyone who has kids will agree that kids are generally curious. They want to know more. As a result, they could go on watching YouTube videos with explicit content if they are not restricted. This is why it’s important for you to be able to setup YouTube parental control, to restrict what your kids are exposed to.
If you are still with me here, let’s move on and see how to go about this.
Page Table of Contents
How To Setup YouTube Parental Control
Below are the steps and procedures to follow in setting up a YouTube restriction for your kids. The process for web is different from when you are using the mobile app. So, we will have to cover both separately.
How To Setup YouTube Restricted Mode On The Web
- Log in to YouTube and open the home screen.
- Click your face (or the blank face if you didn’t add an image to your account) in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Select Restricted Mode at the bottom of the menu.
- Toggle Restricted Mode to the On by clicking the slider to the right of the line that reads ACTIVATE RESTRICTED MODE.
- Click Lock Restricted Mode on this browser to prevent your child from turning safety mode off.
- The page you were on reloads, and YouTube is restricted from delivering inappropriate content.
Please note that you need to repeat this process for all the other web browsers that are on your computer.
Also See: Download YouTube Go For Android Free
YouTube Parental Control On Mobile
Having seen how the web works, let’s see how you can do this on mobile easily.
- Open your YouTube app and sign in.
- Tap your profile icon to go into your Account. You’ll see it at the top-right of your screen. It’ll be your YouTube account’s icon.
- Choose Settings. Here you’ll see a bunch of options to modify your YouTube experience. But for our purposes, we want Settings.
- Tap Restricted Mode Filtering. There’s the setting we want. Once you tap on that, you’ll be brought to a simple page to set your filter.
- Hit the close button to confirm the setting.
- Pull down on the list of videos to refresh the feed.
There are no guarantees that these safeguards will keep mature content from reaching your children’s eyes, but something is better than nothing.
Restricted Mode attempts to filter YouTube search results so that the mature content is weeded out. It also prevents your child from viewing material that has been flagged as inappropriate by the YouTube community or has been marked for mature audiences only by the content’s creator. Restricted Mode is mainly meant to limit the content of an explicit nature. YouTube makes no guarantees that it is 100 percent effective.
Questions? Ask below!