The importance of using images on social media is increasing by the day. And, this trend can only continue to grow more and more in the coming days. This makes it important for you to learn about the best social media image sizes. This is to ensure you put your best foot out and not be left behind.
Have you seen images on social media that was cut off? There are correct image sizes for all social media. The image size to use for Facebook is different from that of Instagram. In fact, Facebook stories and Facebook feed image sizes differ. So, we have decided to show you the correct social media image sizes you can use across all social media platforms so your feed will look lovely.
Social Media Image Sizes
Let us give you a breakdown of the social media image sizes for the major social media platforms.
1. Facebook Images
Facebook is a starting place for many businesses on social media. Get these social media images right and you’re off to a good start!
- Facebook Profile and Cover Image Dimensions: The Facebook profile pic should be 180 x 180 pixels and your cover image should be 820 x 312 pixels. Note that your profile picture will now show as a circle in the news feed, so be sure to preview your pic with circular overlay before you upload it.
- Facebook News Feed Post and Ad Image Dimensions: For Facebook feed post images, the optimal size is 940 x 788 pixels. For a Facebook feed ad and shared link image, use 1200 x 628 pixels.
- Facebook Stories Image Dimensions: For Facebook stories, the optimal image size is 1080 x 1920 pixels.
- Facebook Event Cover Image Dimensions: If you’re organizing an event on Facebook and want to create the right image for your event page, 1920 x 1080 pixels is the perfect size for that image.
2. Instagram Image Sizes
Instagram is the king of social media images! Let’s look at the ideal sizes, from the obvious to the not-so-obvious.
- Instagram Profile Image Dimensions: For starters, your Instagram profile pic should be 110 x 110 pixels. At this size, the image will be perfectly centered in the cropped circle on your profile.
- Instagram Post and Feed Ad Image Dimensions: A square post — whether it’s an image or a video — needs to be sized at 1080 x 1080 pixels for the best quality in the feed. Oblong posts (portrait or landscape) are best at 1080 x 1350 pixels. The same measurements apply to feed ads.
- Instagram Stories Posts and Ads Image Dimensions: Instagram Stories (posts and ads) need to be 1080 x 1920 pixels if you’re creating visuals specifically for that purpose. Otherwise, just take a pic with your phone’s camera directly from the Instagram app.
3. Twitter Image Sizes
Twitter may be all about short, snappy text, but visuals also have their place on the platform. Do them justice by following these size guidelines.
- Twitter Profile and Cover Image Dimensions: Your Twitter profile pic should ideally be 400 x 400 pixels and your cover image should be 1500 x 500 pixels. That’s the easy part. Now you’ve just got to decide which image to use for your cover!
- Twitter Tweet Image Dimensions: The ideal size for tweet images is 1024 x 512 pixels.
- Twitter Card and Ad Image Dimensions: For Twitter card images, use 800 x 320 pixels.
4. LinkedIn Image Sizes
Think LinkedIn is just about recruitment posts? Think again. LinkedIn is gaining in trendy content including images, which are increasing in importance on the platform.
- LinkedIn Profile and Cover Image Dimensions: Let’s start with the basics. Your LinkedIn profile picture should be 400 x 400 pixels and your cover image should be 1584 x 396 pixels. For a company page cover, size the image at 1536 x 768 pixels.
- LinkedIn Feed and Sponsored Content Image Dimensions: The optimal size for these images is 1200 x 627 pixels.
5. Pinterest Image Sizes
Pinterest is indisputably all about the visuals. So let’s start off by focusing on your first images on the platform.
- Pinterest Profile and Board Cover Image Dimensions: For your Pinterest profile pic, use 165 x 165 pixels. For board covers, use 222 x 150 pixels.
- Pinterest Pin and Promoted Pin Image Dimensions: Pinterest says that 600 x 900 pixels (or any image with a 2:3 aspect ratio) is the optimal size for a pin. Square images (600 x 600 pixels) can also work well. Pinterest notes that pins taller than 1260 pixels high will get cut off, and users will have to tap the pin to see the full image.
6. YouTube Image Sizes
While this one is not strictly an image size, it’ll probably come in handy if you’re ever creating a video you plan to upload to YouTube: The recommended YouTube video dimensions are 1920 x 1080 pixels.
- YouTube Video Thumbnail Dimensions: For YouTube video thumbnails, use the dimensions 1280 x 720 pixels.
- YouTube Icon and Channel Art Dimensions: For your YouTube channel, size your channel art at 2560 x 1440 pixels and your channel icon at 800 x 800 pixels.
7. Snapchat Image Sizes
- Snapchat Snap Image Dimensions: Most users won’t ever think about the perfect Snapchat image size because they’re simply taking photos with their camera and posting them right away. For those who like to plan ahead, a snap should be sized at 1080 x 1920 pixels whether it’s a story or a privately sent pic.
Now you know the correct social media image sizes. If you want resize any image, see this guide here.