The increasing rate of domestic accidents has made the top 5 tips for preventing domestic accidents long overdue. Basically, the home front should be rid of any and possible causes of accidents. However, this is not to be. Owing to carelessness, negligence and ignorance, the home front carries enormous danger to its occupants. As a result, it is very pertinent that we consider, in details, how to make the home front safe and protected. It is our hope therefore that this article will help achieve these aims.
Preventing domestic accidents is a task everyone must partake in. Individuals and families must be aware of the diverse nature and forms of these accidents and take precautionary measures towards preventing them. This is why the top 5 tips for preventing domestic accidents are highly recommended for all and sundry. Take your time and go through this. Implement its recommendations and rid your home of avoidable domestic accidents.
Page Table of Contents
Top 5 Tips For Preventing Domestic Accidents
1. Watch Your Electric Connections
- It is advisable to have your wiring installation checked at least once every five years by an approved contractor, or straightaway if you are buying an older property.
- Furthermore, do not use appliances with worn or damaged flexes. They carry alot of threats.
- Keep water away from electricity. Water is a good conductor of electric current. Maintaining a distance between these is precautionary.
- Employ the services of a professional electrician to help your connections at home.
- Never overload sockets. Learn to plug appliances in sockets that have the capacity to carry them.
- Switch off electric connections when going out.
2. Ensure Kitchen Safety
The second of our Top 5 Tips For Preventing Domestic Accidents is to check the kitchen set up. Due to carelessness, people neglect kitchen safety. The kitchen plays a very vital role in our homes and must be careful arranged to ensure safety. Some of the tips for kitchen safety include:
- Do not use the stoves when you are feeling sleepy. Many have slept off while cooking and burnt down the house.
- Remove the cooking utensils from and switch off the stoves and burners if you are leaving the kitchen.
- Ensure proper ventilation in the kitchen.
- If you suspect gas leak, do not strike the matches/lighter. Open up the windows for it to dissipate.
- Label every cooking spices and ingredients. This ensures that one ingredient is not mistaken for another.
- Arrange your kitchen well to avoid over-stuffing of kitchens.
- Buy more of cooking utensils with plastic handles than iron handles.
Also See: Top Safety Driving Tips
3. Ensure Fire Safety
Prevention, they say, is better than cure. It is highly wise and advisable to have fire-fighting equipments at home.
- Every home must have a fire extinguisher. However, the extinguisher must be kept where it can easily be accessed in times of emergencies.
- There should be smoke detectors and smoke alarms properly fitted in the house.
- Keep matches and lighters out of the reach of children.
- Do not smoke in your house.
- Keep heaters, candles and lighters away from house seat and other combustible areas.
- Have an escape route in your home. Ensure all house members are aware of this.
4. Ensure Bathroom And Toilet Safety
- It is a must to sweep off every bath water from the bathroom floors.
- Never spill water on the toilet floors.
- There should be mopping and cleaning materials in the toilet and bathroom.
- It is not advisable to stand on the toilet bowl.
5. Ensure Children Safety
The last on our Top 5 Tips For Preventing Domestic Accidents: ensure children’s safety. Basically, children are careless and carefree. They need every attention and guidance. If not, they will wreck havoc at home. Take note of the following:
- Keep dangerous and harmful equipment away from them.
- Keep them away from the kitchen.
- They should not be left without attention.
- Keep drugs and medicines away from them.
- Always purchase a rug pad for your area rugs.
- Do not ask them to lift heavy materials.
- Keep your house well lit.
If you do not implement these Top 5 Tips For Preventing Domestic Accidents, then, you are taking a huge risk. Share this with friends and loved ones. You may be saving a life today.