The human eyes play many important functions for the human body. If the eyes is not in good shape, the body suffers. Despite the increasing and undeniable importance of the human eyes, individuals lackadaisically engage in acts and habits that hamper the functionality of the eyes. This is not to be. Most often, people do this out of ignorance. To cure this costly ignorance, here are the Top 8 Unhealthy Habits That Damage Your Eyes. If you do not love your eyes, kindly stop reading here.
If you are reading this line now, you love your eyes. You are basically saying that you want to know the Top 8 Unhealthy Habits That Damage Your Eyes. That, we will give you. Let us get down to it.
Top 8 Unhealthy Habits That Damage Your Eyes
The following habits below are dangerous to the eyes and must be avoided by all means.
1. Sleep Deprivation: First on our top 8 unhealthy habits that damage your eyes is sleep deprivation. It is a general rule that a healthy sleep time is for 7-8hrs. Anything below this is counter-productive. Consequently, one can suffer irritation, or eye strain, dryness or spasms and other related challenges.
2. Constant Eye Rubbing: We are all often pressured to rub our eyes for one reason or the other. However, this is not advisable. Rubbing your eyes can break the tiny blood vessels under the skin’s surface causing dark circles, puffy eyes or drooping eyelids. Using your hand to rub your eyes when you feel something in your eye can also scratch and permanently damage the cornea. In addition, if your eyes are itchy rubbing them tends to release more of the allergens responsible for the itch, making the itch feel worse. So, to soothe irritated eyes, try a cold compress instead.
Also See: 5 Natural Ways To Sleep Without Pills
3. Not Wearing Sunglasses: The sun releases ultraviolet (UV) rays that has damaging effects on not only our skins but also our eyes. The best way to guide against this is to wear those sunglasses. Get them out of that bag and utilise them now!
4. Poor Dieting: Most fruits and vegetables are crucial for optimum eye health, especially ones with vitamins C and E, zinc, and omega-3 fatty acids. The American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO) suggests that adding citrus fruits, vegetables oils, nuts, whole grains, leafy greens, and fish to your meals as much as possible. Additionally, water in the body helps tear production as well as helping in keeping eyes well-lubricated. Therefore, take sufficient water daily.
Also See: Health Benefits Of Paw-Paw
5. Misusing Eye Make Ups: Do you know that using eye make ups can damage your eyesight? Products like mascara, eyeliner, eye shadow, and eye creams, if not properly applied can damage your eyes. Ensure you always apply the makeup far away from your lash line so you don’t block the oil glands of your lids because build-ups here can cause infections. Also, you should change your eye makeup after every three months because after this time, especially if not stored in a cool place, they can become breeding ground for bacteria.
6. Unadvised Use Of Eye Drops: This is another of the top 8 unhealthy habits that damage your eyes. Eye drops help in solving some eye issues. However, when used arbitrarily and without an ophthalmologist’s guide, it is unhealthy. While they temporarily alleviate dry eyes, using them too often could actually irritate your eyes over time. Consequently, recommends using eye drops for only a short period of time.
7. Reading Under Poor Lightening: When you read with poor lights, you endanger your eyes. You obviously will have to strain your eyes to be able to read. If it’s done for long hours and repeatedly, you are inviting danger.
8. Too Much Exposure To Screen Lights: Too much screen time tends to slow your blinking rate which eventually causes dry eyes and smeary vision. It can additionally make the eyes burn and water. It is therefore highly advised to reduce your screen time and as well as making it a point of obligation to look away from your screen regularly.
Any of these top 8 unhealthy habits that damage your eyes that you are guilty of can impair your sight if not stopped. If you are already having signs of eyes irritation, you are highly advised to consult the services of an eye doctor.
Sharing this will be doing the world a lot of good. Share and save someone today. We would also love to attend to your challenges – if you have any. Thank you.