Real Madrid has been drawn against city neighbours, Atletico Madrid in the UEFA Champions League semi-final draw. This continues the pattern that sees the pair meeting in the past 3 seasons; twice in the final and a Quarterfinal clash inbetween. Whether Atletico Madrid gains revenge against her eternal rival remains to be seen. As the Diego Simeone led team bids farewell to the Vicente Calderón, they would want to end it on high.
On the other fixture, Juventus draws As Monaco. The French outfit has been in a very remarkable form both in Europe and domestically. They dispatched Manchester City and Borrussia Dortmund in the Round of 16 and the Quarterfinal respectively to reach the Semis. Monaco has been a free scoring team: they scored 3 goals each match in the four games against Manchester City and Dortmund. However, they face a defence that has only conceded twice in Europe this season. Juventus ensured the ever dependable Barcelona MSN (Messi, Neymar & Suarez) fired blank in two games. Rare! It promises to be an entertaining match up.
Page Table of Contents
Also See: UEFA Champions League Round Of 16 Draws
- Real Madrid Vs Atletico Madrid
- Monaco Vs Juventus
The first leg: 2nd & 3rd May
Second leg: 9 & 10 May, 2017.
- The Spanish capital rivals meet in a repeat of last season’s final, won on penalties by Madrid
- Madrid also won the 1958/59 semi-final, 2014 final and 2015 quarter-final meetings
- This season in the Spanish Liga: Atlético 0-3 Madrid, Madrid 1-1 Atlético
- Madrid aim to become the first team to retain the UEFA Champions League title
- Head-to-head record in Europe: P7, Madrid W4, Atlético W1, D2
- Semi-final records: Atlético W3 L2, Madrid W14 L13
- Monaco and Juve also met in the 1997/98 semi-finals, the Bianconeri winning 6-4 on aggregate
- Juve won the first leg 4-1 before a 3-2 away defeat; they went on to lose to Madrid in the final
- Juve also beat Monaco in the 2014/15 quarters, Arturo Vidal’s penalty in Turin the only goal of the tie
- Head-to-head record: P4, Monaco W1, Juve W2, D1
- Semi-final records: Monaco W1 L2, Juventus W8 L3
What do you say about the UEFA Champions League Semi-Final Draw? Can Atletico ends Real domination? Would Real go on to defend the trophy, becoming the first club to do so? Will the impregnable Juventus’ defence blunt the attacking prowess of Monaco? Share your views with us.