The UEFA Europa league semi-final draw took place took. And Manchester United, following its extra time 2-1 win over Anderlecht, is paired against Spanish club, Celta Vigo. Lyon and Ajax completes the other semi-final draw. Who will go all the way to the finals in Stockholm? Can Manchester United lift the trophy and get themselves into the Champions League next season? To do that, the Red Devils will have to overcome Celta Vigo first before any other step.
The UEFA Europa League semi-final draw promises high quality entertainment. Given that the winners will have automatic qualification to the Champions League, expect a great footballing experience. Let us look at the full fixtures below.
Page Table of Contents
Also See: Europa League Round Of 16 Draws
- Ajax v Olympique Lyonnais (Wednesday 3 and Thursday 11 May)
- Celta Vigo v Manchester United (Thursday 4 and 11 May)
Let us consider some top facts from the Europa League semi-final fixtures.
- The duo’s four previous meetings all came in the UEFA Champions League group stage
- Head-to-head record in Europe: P4, Ajax W2, Lyon W0, D2
- Ajax won 2-1 at home and 2-0 away in 2002/03; the teams played out two 0-0 draws in 2011/12
- Lyon beat Eredivisie side AZ Alkmaar 11-2 on aggregate in this season’s round of 32
- Ajax are the only club to have won the UEFA Cup (1991/92) left in the competition
- These teams have never met before in UEFA club competition
- United want to become just the fifth side in history to complete a European clean sweep
- Celta’s record against English clubs is W5 D0 L4; they have lost their last three
- United’s record against Spanish opposition is W12 D19 L16
- Celta overcame England’s Aston Villa 3-1 on aggregate in the 2000 Intertoto Cup semi-finals
- Celta forward Giuseppe Rossi was at Old Trafford from 2004 to 2007
Also See: UEFA Champions League Semi-final Draw
Can United go all the way to Stockholm, Sweden, Zlatan Ibrahimovic’s country? Will there be a shocker? Who will win the semi-final fixtures? Share your thoughts with us below. Thank you.