Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for admission into graduate programmes in the 2017/2018 academic year leading to the award of Postgraduate Diploma, Masters and Doctor of Philosophy Degree of the University of Calabar (UNICAL). Here is the UNICAL 2017/2018 Postgraduate Admission Application detail.
Duration of Programme
- For full-time studies the Postgraduate Diploma lasts for two (2) semesters.
- The Master’s degrees last for 4 semesters; and the Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D) programmes last for 6 semesters.
- Finally, for part-time programmes, the Master’s degrees last for 6 semesters, the Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D) lasts for 10 semesters.
Note that PGD programmes run on full-time basis only.
UNICAL 2017/2018 Postgraduate Admission Application – Requirements
Candidates are required to have a minimum CGPA of 3.00 on a 5-point scale and 2.75 on a 4-point scale for Master’s programmes and 4.00 on a 5-point scale and 3.00 on a 4-point scale for the Ph.D programmes.
A CGPA of 1.50 and above is required for PGD programmes. Candidates with Master’s degree from recognized universities may credit the relevant courses towards the Ph.D programme, provided that the quality of the grade is acceptable to the Graduate School.
Note: Filling of forms – Surnames first, First name next, Middle name last. This is to prevent multiple applications. The titles Mr, Miss or Mrs may be used but not Rev(Dr), Chief, etc. Programmes applied for should be Ph.D, M.A, M.Ed, M.Sc, MPH, LLM, and PGD. No extension of application after 8th of October, 2017.
UNICAL 2017/2018 Postgraduate Admission Application – How To Apply
- Interested candidates are log onto website: unicalonline.edu.ng
- Thereafter, candidates are required to pay a non-refundable fee of ₦15,000.00 at any bank nationwide via E-Transact platform for Graduate School application form 2017/2018 academic session.
- A printout with a unique pin will be issued at the bank.
- Candidates will then enter their unique PIN and their mobile phone numbers on unicalonline.edu.ng/admissions to access the form.
- Follow the steps by providing your data as prompted and ensure that your form is submitted. YOU ARE TO PRINT OUT A COPY OF YOUR FORM AND CONCEPT NOTE, BY CLICKING ON PRINT button after submission. Please bring a copy of the printed form to the venue on the day of the screening.
As part of the application, candidates are expected to submit a CONCEPT NOTE of 2 pages maximum for Ph.D programmes and one (1) page maximum for Master’s programmes.
The concept note will be typed online in a space provided in the form and printed out for submission to the department. The concept note is a MINI SUMMARY OF RESEARCH PROPOSAL highlighting what candidates intend to research on when admitted. It will have to cover the following:
– Statement of the problem
– Relevance of study to self and society
– Aim(s) of the study
– Brief theoretical background
Note: Candidates who fail to send their concept notes online along with their application forms will not be allowed to take part in the oral interview.
Candidates are to ensure that their academic transcripts are forwarded by their previous institutions through courier service to the Academic Secretary, Graduate School, University of Calabar, P.M.B. 1115, Calabar, Cross River State, ON OR BEFORE OCTOBER 20, 2017.
Admission Screening Exercise
Admission Screening Day – Friday 20th October, 2017 for MBA, MPAS, and all PGD candidates.
Saturday 21st October, 2017 is for Masters and Ph.D candidates. The screening test will be a computer based test as follows:
- Part A – Written, (Use of English Language, Logic, Mathematics, ICT and General Knowledge).
- Part B – Oral interview in the respective departments based on subject area/concept note for Ph.D and Master’s candidates.
There shall be No oral interview for MBA, MPAS and all PGD programmes.
The website for submission of application will be shut down on the 8th October, 2017.
UNICAL 2017/2018 Postgraduate Admission Application – Available Programs
For details of each programme and specific requirements, click to visit www.unicalonlne.edu.ng/programmes-and-degrees.
We will attend to your questions, if you have any. Please share.