The difference between getting employed and not could be a matter of Resume and Curriculum Vitae. In case it escpaed your memory, employers take the stress to go through the submitted resumes and CVs of employees. So, if you want to get employed, you will definitely need to stand out in your CVs and Resumes. So, you need to know How To Write A Professional CV And Resume For Any Job In Nigeria.
Before we go into the steps on How To Write A Professional Résumé/CV, it is very important we clarify you on the meanings and differences in both. We are aware that many job applicants cannot different the two. However, an understanding of the meaning and differences of a Résumé and a CV can go a long way in helping you. That, we are not in any doubt.
Etymologically, a CV (abbreviation for Curriculum Vitae) is a Latin term. It means “The Course Of Life”. That means your CV contains information about your life career history and skills. It is usually a 2-5 pages document. A Résumé on its own is a shortened version of a CV. Before we go on with How To Write A Professional Résumé/CV, you may want to read all the major differences between a CV and a Résumé and when to use each here.
How To Write A Professional CV And Resume For Any Job In Nigeria
We have outlined very important steps on how to write a professional CV and resume for any job in Nigeria. let’s show you how.
How To Write A Professional CV
The following guidelines are very essential in writing your own CV. They include:
- Choose a CV format and stick to it. Choose whether you want to put each section in a box or whether you want to separate them with lines.
- Include your name and contact address in the first page. It usually goes in this format: Name (first), address, phone number and email. Ensure your name is the boldest of all.
- Write a Personal Profile. Although this is optional, it tells the employee about you.
- Then include the following details about yourself: Education, Work Experience & Employment History (this include where you’ve worked, location as well as your duty, position or functions there.), Skills and achievements, Hobbies & Interests, other information etc.
- Finally, include your references (these are your referees. They can include your former employers as well your education handlers. Include names, email, phone number and addresses).
Note: ensure you place every of the above sections in different subheadings. Also, keep them bold and clear enough.
How To Write A Professional Résumé
Employ and deploy these tips below.
- Never let your Résumé exceed two pages except you are a professional or submitting a proposal that requires all your past projects and achievements in detail. At most, one page can suffice. Make it simple, short and point out needed details.
- Do not use funny fonts. Your Résumé must look professional and tidy. It is advisable to use Times New Roman or Calibri.
- Organize your details in a clear, concise and orderly manner.
- Do not lie to get a job. Ensure you include ONLY the skills and qualifications you have.
- Let your Résumé include what you are being asked for in the job vacancy. Tailor your skills to include job-specific requirements. However, there are important things that cannot be overlooked such as your objective, your professional qualifications, your skills, your educational background, experience, contact information etc.
- Include your objectives. Objectives are meant to be personal. Objectives are what you aim to achieve by working in a company or a general principle that guides your work ethics. So, create your own objectives. However, be wise to tailor each objective to suit the particular job you are applying for.
After writing your CV and or Résumé, please do the following;
- Ensure you check your spellings
- Check your grammar and also your punctuation marks.
- Proof-read your work for errors.
- If in doubt, give someone’s to proof read your work.
We are sure you can Write A Professional CV And Resume using these tips here. Please, kindly share this. Someone else might need this as you needed it. Thank you.